Tuesday, December 1, 2009

First Post Marathon Run

Today was my first day back to running after the marathon. I went out for an easy 4 mile out and back along Kelly Drive. It felt great to get back into running. I missed it over the last week.

The temperature was in the upper 30s when I started out. I dressed in tights and a new long sleeve Nike shirt. That seemed great when I got out the door. I found that it was way too hot once I got going.

The other problem I encountered was that my IT band starting bothering me. The weird part is that it occurred on my left one. That hasn't caused me problems at all, it has always been the right side. The tights I wore were the ones that I had 9 years ago when I first ran. That's when I first discovered the IT band issue. Perhaps the tights are part of the problem.

I wasn't quite as sore after I a few minutes. I settled into a nice, comfortable pace. I wanted to ease back into running and I did just that.

I concluded my workout by running two hill sprints behind the Art Museum. They were supposed to only be 8 seconds long, but I wound up doing about 14 seconds each. Eight seconds is a very short sprint. I didn't realize how short until I timed it.

I worked in shoes at City Sports on Monday. That requires going up and down a flight of stairs over and over again. It'll be good training, but I'll have to get used to it. Today, I worked in the fitting room and some on the floor. It's getting better now that I'm comfortable with where everything is.

We have a training website for a lot of our vendors. If you go on it and pass the quizzes, you get significant discounts on products. I bought some Under Armour gear with it. It's already been pretty helpful in training me on shoes, but I'm going to study those even more.

I have two days off now. I might wander out to Valley Forge Park tomorrow and check it out. I tried doing that the other day on my way back from the Philadelphia Premium Outlets. I didn't find the trail though.

I'm also putting together my training plan for the next marathon. I'm leaning towards running the Minneapolis one in June. I'm reading and following Brad Hudson's book that features adaptive running. I took his schedule from the back on the book. I'll likely tweak it and change things as necessary. I'm really having a lot of fun putting together training plan. I need to make one up for my strength training exercises too.

4 miles - 31:12 (7:48 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment