Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Lonely Winter Night Run

Well I took a rest day on Tuesday. I didn't get to bed soon enough last night, so I slept in a little this morning and didn't have time for my run. That meant that I had to run at night, after my 8 PM shift was over.

It was very windy, which made it feel extremely cold. I was actually surprised to see that the temperature is currently 30 degrees (feels like 20 degrees). I headed out the door prepared, with a couple layers on. I didn't want to put on a heavy ColdGear shirt, so I tried a lighter base layer. The cheaper brown shirt that I have didn't work as well as I had hoped, and actually was quite sweaty.

The first quarter mile was brutal. I put on the hood and battled a strong head wind. I had the hood on very tight. It actually bothered my neck after a couple miles and I had to loosen it. I felt pretty good for awhile. My Under Armour tights worked awesome and the jacket that I have really did break the wind.

Around 1.5 miles, I started to get hot though. I was surprised that this happened even before the turnaround. I took down my hood for awhile and even removed my gloves and unzipped my jacket to cool down. Eventually, I put the hood back up again.

Not surprisingly, my first half of the run was very slow. It took me about 17:15 to get to the turnaround. Today was an easy day, so I didn't push much. I did pick it up with the wind at my back though.

Even though it's cold, it is beautiful running in the city at night. The Kelly Drive path is dimly lit. The skyline is pretty. It's peaceful because there aren't many other runners, walkers or bikings out. I'm definitely taking a liking to the night run. There's also a certain toughness about being out in these conditions.

I also used my cheap yellow shirt again as a night vest. The shirt sucks to actually run in, but it's great for this application. I don't even need to buy a vest now, although I probably will at some point.

I'll be out to run again in less than 12 hours. I have a 2PM start time at work, so I'm going to run before it starts. It'll be my weekly hilly run on Forbidden Drive. Hopefully my feet will do okay on the rough terrain and I pray the ground isn't too wet. It doesn't seem like it ever dries out there though.

4 miles - 32:45 (8:11 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment