Wednesday, December 30, 2009

5K Simulation

Since I'm running a 5K for New Year's Eve, I decided to simulate it this morning. I run on the course all the time, but I've never run it hard. I know it's not the best idea to run hard right before the race, but I wanted to gauge what I'm capable of, since I haven't run fast in awhile.

As I was about to start my run, a guy ran by. I didn't want to blow past him, so I gave it some time. Of course as I was about to start again, a guy and girl went by. This time I started. I fly right past them as I went out very hard. Running 5Ks at that speed are just so uncomfortable for me.

Even running against the wind, the first mile was a very impressive 6:26. I wasn't even sure if I could actually run that fast. I impressed myself really. I definitely slowed the second mile and at the turnaround. I passed both groups of runners in the opposite direction, on the second mile.

I still was well under 7 minutes, even after slowing down. When I saw that I was approaching 20 minutes, I really picked it up. My race goal is to run under 20 minutes. That may be tough as this run took me 20:17 and I gave it about everything I had.

I actually only ran 3.09 miles. One thing I don't like about my Garmin is that I have difficulty getting it off of the calories setting and into the distance setting. I was unable to change its settings until after the race. I was close enough on the distance though and it just shows how accurate that thing is.

I'd like to run a little faster, but I'm not really sure how. Maybe if I back off a little early, I can pick up more later in the race with the wind likely at my back. I don't know that I can truly gain a lot though. I put about everything I had into today's run. Maybe some competition can push me a little more.

Weather is going to be another issue. Today, I went with just a Nike base layer. Tomorrow night, might be rain and snow. I definitely don't want to wear a jacket, unless I have no other choice. Regardless of the weather, it should be fun.

3.09 miles - 20:17 (6:33 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment