Thursday, December 24, 2009

Overheating in the Cold

Today was another easy morning run. I started off at my apartment and along Kelly Drive. I ran to the John B. Kelly statue by the grandstands and back. That's the turnaround point for the upcoming New Year's run, so I figured I'd run the course a little.

I couldn't decide on what to wear for the run. That ended up being a mistake. It was 27 degrees, but little to no wind. I just couldn't fathom going out in that weather without a jacket. Apparently I should have though as I severely overheated. I was sweating like crazy when I got back. Even opening my jacket during the run, taking off the headband and gloves, didn't help.

I tried to run hard and fast for awhile early on, but getting too hot eventually took its toll. There was a slight wind on the way out, but none on the way back. That's when I really got hot.

My IT band problem was just so so today. It continues to nag me, but it didn't slow me down any. I still ran an okay pace. It never got really bad. It's something I'll just have to continue to battle through. Running on uneven surfaces and at a slower pace are clearly issues. Maybe when I get vibrams in the spring, that'll really help.

Tomorrow is Christmas Day. I'm looking forward to getting some new running stuff and possibly testing it out during an afternoon run. I want to really do a hilly 7 mile run. Being back that the parents, I'm not sure where to run though. I'll have to figure that part out. It's been great to get out the last two days and I look forward to tomorrow's run as well.

5.4 miles - 43:57 (8:08 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment