Friday, December 11, 2009

Extreme Weather

Today was my first test in extreme weather. It was an interesting run to say the least. Luckily, it was an easy day with only 3 miles planned. When I awoke, I checked the weather and was shocked to see 24 degrees and feels like 10 degrees. I knew it was going to make for a difficult time.

On the plus side, it was my first chance to try out the new running jacket. It worked well against the brutal headwind at the start, although the hood actually blew off. I had to tie it tight. It is definitely a solid jacket and I'll wear it again throughout most of the winter.

I went with Under Armour ColdGear underneath as well as UA tights. That was a pretty good choice, although I got fairly hot on the way back. My gloves still worked well in this temperature. I tried out my Under Armour Hoodie for a half mile. It was so so.

I wanted to run easy, but it is kind of difficult to do when the wind is pushing you backwards. I certainly didn't push the pace and really I couldn't have if I wanted to.

Once I hit the turnaround, I went from uncomfortable to hot. I actually took off the hood for awhile. I was sweating a little. The dramatic difference that the wind can make in each direction is what makes me so frustrated during winter running. I actually don't mind the cold part. It is just that the wind is brutal.

After finally finishing, I ran two short hill sprints on Lemon Hill. I am definitely getting stronger. I've only had minor soreness with my IT band lately. I wasn't sore today at work, even after being on my feet for 8 hours. That strengthening is going to be a big help in my marathon training.

This is the first time in a long time that I've run for 5 straight days. I don't feel tired or worn down either. I'm actually taking tomorrow off, but I'm eager to run again. I have an 8 mile run scheduled for Sunday. I might just make it 9 miles. I'm starting to develop a nice base.

Tomorrow, I need to lay out the rest of my training schedule. I have to mess my current fitness with my planned fitness. Bill Treichel wants to run a half marathon in the spring, so I'm going to put together a plan for him as well. I love making training plans. Maybe one day I'll coach and do that all the time.

3 miles - 25:31 (8:30 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment