Thursday, December 17, 2009

Always Uphill

It was another day of hills on Forbidden Drive. I headed out there late in the morning for a fine trail run. After a couple strides, high knees and kick butts, I took off running. The plan was to go about 6 miles.

I started off easy, running north along the path from Valley Green. I did that for 5 minutes and then turned around. It is mostly flat there, but there was actually a portion that was quite hilly.

I started with my jacket over my ColdGear. It was too hot though. I just ditched the jacket and was comfortable. There was a little breeze, but the top and tights kept me warm enough. I didn't have any ear protection, but that didn't become a big problem.

The hills that I encountered when heading south were great. They are very challenging and you go from one to the next. It wasn't too wet today, but there were a few spots, including some with ice. I made it all the way out to Lincoln Drive again. This time, I ran comfortably because I didn't have anyone to push me like the hard workout two weeks ago.

It worked out well though. I still worked very hard. On the way back, it seemed like I was still hitting a lot of inclines. It was like the terrain stayed the same as on the way out. That bothered my IT band a little, but not so much so that I had to quit. I was able to keep going. I have definitely become a lot stronger than just a couple weeks ago. The hills are strengthening me, as is spending all day on my feet at work.

I finally found out why trail shoes are so important. This is a soft trail, but I still ran into a problem. On the way back, a sharp rock pierced my shoe and there's actually a hole in it. I'm definitely going to buy trail shoes if I don't get any for Christmas.

Overall, it was a great workout. It'll really help me in my quest to qualify for Boston. I'm am so focused on that right now. The cold weather can't even phase me. Tomorrow will be a simple recovery run. I'll likely do another flat route along the river. This time, perhaps I'll run on West River Drive. I haven't done that in awhile.

50:01 ~ 6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment