Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Slower Pace

I've been having trouble dragging myself out of bed to run lately. The cold temperatures combined with a lack of sleep have been an issue. Today, I did get up and get my run in. I still never ran my long run from over the weekend, but at least I'm making some effort.

I decided to start off running when I got to 21st and Green Streets. Running on the uneven sidewalks which are covered in ice might not be a good idea. Not only is it a safety hazard, but I think it bothers my IT band.

The beginning of the run along West River Drive was interesting too. Of course, it was very cold when I ran over the river. That is always the case. I had on my jacket and my new winter running hat. That was a big help. The temperature were in the teens with a wind chill in single digits.

I real interesting part was as I ran over the bridge over the river. The snow had melted and refroze. It made for a slow going through that portion. Once I hit the actual path, I was very impressed with how clear it was. Rarely did I come across any ice.

The head wind that encountered slowed my pace and my IT band started acting up before I turned around at the railroad bridge near Montgomery Drive. I was able to pick my pace up later and noticed that with a different stride, my IT band doesn't act up as much. It still bothered me though, but I managed to finish my run at the Art Museum.

All in all, it was a productive run. I was hoping to continue to improve over the winter, but I guess I'm just going to have to settle for putting in miles and just surviving. The cold isn't bad, it is the wind that is the pain. I constantly have to change how I'm dressed during the run because of it. Wearing extra clothes is slowing me down as well.

Tomorrow will be my last run here before heading home for Christmas. I hope to get in an easy 5 miler. Back home, I'm going to run a hilly 7 miler and then follow that up with a 10 mile Sunday long run. Hopefully, this week will stay on track now.

5.15 miles - 42:44 (8:18 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment