Monday, December 21, 2009

After the Snow

I failed to get out a run yesterday morning after the snow, so I tried to run my 9 miler this morning. Things didn't start out well as I was very tired and struggled to get out of bed. I slept in another hour later than I planned. I finally hit the road though.

Part of my reason for not running up to this point was that I didn't expect the 20 inches of snow to be plowed from the Kelly Drive path yet. I was very shocked when I got out and it was relatively clear this morning.

I couldn't decide which shoes to wear. I didn't want to get my new ones full of snow, so I chose the old pair. I figured I'd be running in snow, so the additional support of my news shoes wouldn't help much anyways.

It turned out I made the wrong choice. The path was fairly clear. The only issues were water that refroze and a section by the grandstand that still had an inch or two.

I actually started from my house for a change. That wasn't too bad and I felt pretty good by the time I reached Lloyd Hall. I went a couple miles before I noticed any problem with my IT band. I ran slow, but comfortable. It was windy for most of the way out.

Once I hit the snow by the grandstands, it became obvious that I wasn't going to finish 9 miles. The snow caused my IT band to really start acting up. I couldn't land on even ground and it was a big problem. I went just past the Strawberry Mansion Bridge and then turned around.

Shortly after that, I started to walk. I figured it was a good idea to do so for 2 minutes. I started back up, but the left IT band continued to be a problem. I had to run/walk the rest of the way and struggled to get back to Lloyd Hall. On my last run/walk segment, I got a burst and ran fast for a few hundred meters. That was over quickly though.

I was disappointed that I still didn't get my long run in. I did complete 6 miles though. That's better than nothing. I'll have to see if my new shoes will work better on the uneven ground.

One good thing is that I'm no longer very sore in work. Even after a shift of over 9 hours, I'm only slightly sore. Hopefully, I can get in a 9 miler tomorrow. Since I rested two days over the weekend, I can skip my scheduled rest day tomorrow.

6 miles - 55:17 (9:13 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment