Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Gorgeous Night

When I awoke this morning, it was pouring rain. While I like running in the rain, I'm not too crazy about it in December. I went back to bed.

At work, they had me working in shoes for most of the day. That meant running up and down stairs all day. After awhile, I started to get sore. It was good strengthening work.

Even after a busy day at work, I decided to get in my run afterwards. I went out for a nice 4 miler along Kelly Drive around 9 PM. The weather was great, in the mid 50s.

There is just something wonderful about running at night. I love the dark. Running in between the lights is pretty cool too. It was peaceful with only a few runners and bikers out.

I wore a short sleeve shirt and shorts with gloves. I put on the yellow running shirt too. I really don't like it for running, but it seems to be working well as a reflective shirt.

I went out at a comfortable pace. I wore my Asics again. I felt very good. I was actually a bit hot after awhile. As I was running around the 1.5 mile mark, a guy passed me. He was wearing an Ironman shirt and hydration belt. He wasn't going too fast and I tucked in behind him and picked up the pace. It was a good workout for a brief stint, but he turned around before I did.

His faster pace caused me to run the rest of the route hard. Right after passing him, I had to run up on a trail near the stands. The portion of the path near the river was flooded. I really pushed through the final two miles, even though my legs felt like they were dieing. I finished strong though.

It was an excellent workout and I'm really liking my new shoes. I had no problems with my IT band. Although it was almost all flat, that was still surprising. Tomorrow, I will test it out again with a hilly run. I'm considering riding my bike for a little beforehand too. I'm crazy with my latest addiction. Maybe I should backoff at some point.

4 miles - 29:44 (7:26 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment