Monday, February 1, 2016

Darkness Miles

I had off, but couldn't find my MICROspikes.  That was too bad, because I wanted to go to Jim Thorpe.  Instead, I opted to run in the dark after supper.  The original plan was 12 miles, but then I cut that back to 8-10 miles.  That is still a long way for me to go now.

The temperature was in the mid 40s.  I wore shorts and my shell on top.  I had on gloves, but they didn't last long.  My thighs did a get a little leg burned.

I went to the neigbhorhoods across the street.  I started with my usual loop first, but opted to change it up a little bit this time.  I went into an older neighborhood section that I rarely run.  That would give me more distance and a decent hill.  Then, I added another part of the normal loop and this was another hill too.

My legs didn't start off initially too bad, but they were toast pretty early on.  Yesterday's 8 miles took their toll.  My legs were already losing it during these early loops, even 2.5 miles in.  By 3.5 miles, I was struggling a lot.  My pace really didn't slip.

I saw a couple walkers.  I was surprised they had no lights.  I had my headlamp, but it started to flicker, which I think means it was dieing.  I turned it off and only used it when a car was coming.  The snow and houses provided plenty of light.

I encountered a bunch of dogs too.  Luckily, I know where they are by now.  I also know they won't leave their yards.  I still looked back as I passed anyway.  I also had to fix my shoe and the pad on my toe early on.

Before the main loop, I did the smaller loop that I normally do.  I hit mile 5 and could not believe my legs would have another 5 miles in them.  I just kept moving though, trying to be consistent.  As long as I didn't slip more by miles 7 and 8, I'd be okay.

I then headed on to the main loop.  The gradual uphills were a bear for me.  Downhills weren't too bad.  I wasn't going to add the short mile loop across the road.  However, I knew if I did, I'd get around 10 miles. 

This has the steepest hill of them all.  I cruised up it and it was difficult, but I was over 7 miles now.  It was nice to get to 7.5 miles and realize that I was 3/4 of the way done.  By now, I knew I'd finish too, as I didn't feel any worse than I had earlier.

I had several more hills too go.  Coming back into the main loop was the longest hill.  This one always gets me.  I then had another gradual hill.  After that, I had about 1.5 miles left.  There was a nice downhill coming.

Another short hill came and I knew I had about a mile left.  I would be very close to getting done with 10 miles.  There was some nice flat for awhile.  It was great to be in the final mile now.

I headed up the final hill and looped around.  I was nearing the school and nearing 10 miles.  I ran around the school lot for the final tenth of a mile or so.  I was frustrated to see my watch data showing 9.99 miles later on.

I was happy with this productive run.  I wouldn't say it was fun, but not too boring either.  I love running at night much more.  I should just do it more often.  It makes the neighborhoods and pavement more tolerable.

I ran 18 miles last week and in two days, I already have 18 miles this week.  Tomorrow, I'm hoping for that Jim Thorpe run/hike.  I bet Glen Onoko Falls are great with snow.  The snow might be gone soon, as Wednesday there is heavy rain coming.  I have to enjoy the snow while I can.

9.99 miles - 1:26:48 (8:41 pace) 223 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment