Monday, February 22, 2016

Loop Around Easton+

I wanted to get my long run done yesterday.  I thought it would be nice out.  The temperature was good, but it was gloomy and miserable.  Then, it rained.  I decided to just use it as an off day.  Instead, I went for my long run this afternoon.

It was a gorgeous day.  The temperature was in the upper 40s to low 50s.  Nearly perfect and great short sleeve weather.  The only issue I had was a little windburn afterward.  It was slightly breezy.  The sun was shining.

I wanted to do 16 miles.  That's one more mile than I did a few weeks ago.  I decided I would loop around Easton, using the various paths.  That would make the run less boring.  The only issue was I would have no choice then, but to finish the loop.

I started off at Riverview.  That would allow me to begin with one of my favorite sections and also have a nice, late downhill.  There were a lot of people out.  Many walkers, especially with dogs, a few bikers and some runners.

I headed out and then across the river.  The first mile went by quickly.  I was cruising along nice and easy.  The day off didn't help much, as there was definitely some soreness still going on.  This early, that was a bit of a concern.

I love running here right along the Lehigh River.  Before I knew it, I was out near downtown Easton.  The path goes under a bridge and apparently that was recently flooded, as it was muddy.  My feet had some early fun.  I hit mile 3 right around this time.

I headed up and toward Larry Holmes Drive.  I ran through some parking spaces, to avoid some people and some geese.  Then, I went under the free bridge and along the river.  There was a guy in this area on a unicycle.  That was rather interesting. 

I headed under the Route 22 Bridge.  I was going toward the Karl Stirner Arts Trail.  He recently passed away.  They are working on a small bridge before it, but luckily I could still run on it.

The one road crossing is tricky.  Then, you run along the road a bit.  It's not a busy road, but a massive truck went right past me.  While time and miles were going by rather quickly, I was concerned about my sore legs.  Also, my energy levels seemed low.  That was a worry, as I took no calories or water.  I was only approaching mile 5 at this point.

Before I got to the Arts Trail, I came across two young girls running on their own, probably Lafayetee students.  I guess they came from that trail.  I'm not sure I'd be comfortable running there alone, if I was a woman.

I headed on to the trail.  The beginning has some uphill that is quite tough.  My legs could've used a break.  I ran okay though.  I continued on and before I knew it, I was off that trail and over 6 miles.

I still couldn't believe I had 10 miles to go.  Running along the road for a bit was interesting.  I started feeling pretty crappy and was only at mile 7.  I was at Crayola quickly though.

Then, it was up the Hackett's Hill.  That thing is a beast and it is about the halfway point of the loop.  I wasn't sure if the loop would actually be 15 or 16 miles.  The hill was snowy and icy at first.  Even when it cleared, it was no easier.  Going up the hill on the road was a beast too.

At least I knew some downhill was finally coming.  It did give me a nice relief for the legs.  I came to a guy with 2 unleashed dogs.  I was worried, but they were friendly.  I think I even heard one of them sort of running behind me.

I then crossed over Route 22.  After another road crossing, it was more uphill.  I was excited to be over 8 miles, but also exhausted and a bit beat up.  I knew I had to just keep moving and focus on breaking the run down into different parts.

I passed a kid coming home from school I guess.  I went behind Taco Bell and there were more kids.  It was kind of secluded and I think they were smoking weed.  I sure didn't care.  I ran by Easton High School and more kids.

I was happy to get on the Palmer Trail.  I figured that I had probably less than 8 miles to go.  I was at mile 9.  I startled a guy when I was coming up behind him and his dog.  I yelled because the dog was close to the edge of the trail, even though leashed.

The old pavement of the Palmer Trail gave me some issues.  It may have been slightly uphill.  I don't know, but around mile 10, I had a very brutal mile.  My legs had been doing a little better, but this mile trashed them. 

I just focused on getting to the bridge over the one road.  Then, I'd be starting to head downhill.  I just ran along.  This section of the Palmer Trail did get better.  I was focused on getting each mile down. 

Just after mile 11, I came to the bridge.  I knew I was about 4 miles from finishing.  Therefore, I'd be just over 15 miles when the loop was completed.  It was a little rolling, but generally downhill.  By now, I knew I would finish the loop at the very least.

The downhill mile wasn't as good as I thought it would be.  My legs still hurt, as it was getting late in the run.  My pace was still solid.  A biker passed me and I thanked him for ringing his bell.  I went under the Route 33 Bridge.

I came out to the Boat Launch at about 13.25 miles.  The legs were feeling better.  I just focused on getting to mile 14.  I saw two deer cross the trail.  That was near where I saw two deer in the snow.  I bet they were the same ones.  They hid well up the hill, as I couldn't see them at all.

I got to mile 14 and kept plugging away.  I took my watch off earlier than usual.  I just focused on getting back to Riverview.  I passed a mom with three kids who were having a blast.

I continued along.  Then, I hit the Chain Dam and shortly after that, mile 15.  I decided to start heading the other way.  Since the legs felt better, I was going for mile 16.

I ran 15 miles a few weeks ago.  My pace was relatively good through 15 miles today, but the last mile I felt like I was crawling.  It is amazing how that happens.  I didn't want to cross the road, so I went back toward the Chain Dam. 

I basically went out to the dam before turning around.  I was happy that my pace was probably close to 8:30.  I wasn't looking for any particular pace, but that was good.  I turned and headed back.  I stopped at mile 16 and walked in.  The legs were a bit sore and I hobbled, but I've been worse.

This was a great way to start the week.  I think I eventually want to build up to 20 miles, even though I'm not doing any races.  I'd like to run once between 15-20 miles every week.  I just want to be consistent and get my overall miles consistently around 60 per week too.

Tomorrow, the crap weather is returning.  It won't be freezing cold, but it might snow a little then eventually rain.  I need to get out and do something.  Anywhere from 7-10 miles would be an outstanding day.  I may stick to pavement with everything being wet.

16 miles - 2:17:38 (8:36 pace) 540 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment