Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Raccoon Ridge Run/Hike

I took off yesterday.  Since I didn't have to work, I wanted to do something longer today.  I decided to go to the Delaware Water Gap.  Rather than run up Tammany, I'd head out to Sunfish Pond and then hopefully Raccoon Ridge.  I got started a bit after lunch.

It was super cold and chilly in the parking lot.  I had on all the winter gear.  I had tights with shorts.  I had a heavier long sleeve shirt that usual.  I wore my shell.  I had my headband and gloves on too.  Most of the time I was comfortable.  Every now and then, it was a little cold on the windy ridge.  It wasn't as bad as I expected.

I parked in the lot and almost no one was there.  A car pulled up next to me right away, as I was trying to change.  These people were hiking in jeans.  I passed them going uphill early on.  I ran a bit early, but knew this would be a mix of running and hiking.

I was surprised at how little snow there was.  It snowed a bit last night down here.  Everything was bare in the hollow today.  It was warm there early on too.

I've only gone out to Sunfish Pond a few times.  I don't exactly remember all the ins and outs of the route.  I know there is a section that curves around the side of the mountain.  However, I thought it was after a rocky part.  It wasn't though.  Eventually, I got to the intersection with another trail.

After this, there is some flat rock.  Although I wanted to run on it, I opted to hike.  I didn't slip, but that can often happen on that type of terrain.  I was very careful and going slow as I climbed.  There was a little more snow, as I went farther on, but still not much.

My left leg bothered me a lot when I tried to run uphill.  I ended up hiking plenty.  The leg was much better as the run went one.  I went over some more super rocky stuff.  I was over 3 miles out as I hit the camping area.  I was surprised that there wasn't more wind up there.  There was definitely some, but not a lot.

I was most of the way to the top, so I was able to run a bit.  It wasn't long and I was at Sunfish Pond.  That was spectacular, as it was frozen and covered in snow.  I took a bunch of photos.  I had never gone past Sunfish Pond.

The AT runs right alongside the pond here.  I thought I lost it one time, but I didn't actually.  It was very rocky and not runnable.  Plus, I took a ton of photos of the great scenery.  It was stunning.  People put rock cairns up at certain rocky places along the shore of the pond.  Finally, after about a mile, I was at the far end of the pond.  I was near mile 5 of the run.

I couldn't find any good info on how far Raccoon Ridge was.  It would've been closer from Mohican Outdoor Center, but that road is dirt and I thought it would be a mess.  Since there wasn't too much snow, it might not have been bad.  I estimated Raccoon Ridge at mile 6, based on the map I have.

There were some cool seasonal views after Sunfish Pond, along the ridge.  This section was rolling, up and down.  It wasn't too bad.  Since I was still mostly going uphill, I hiked a lot more.  It was a slow go.

A bit later, I crossed a mountain stream.  There was one by Sunfish Pond too.  Those are so cool.  I was able to cross this one without getting wet.  I had seen some Asians hiking early on and their footprints had stopped at Sunfish Pond.  I was alone for most of this run and there were no tracks way up here.

After the stream, it was a short climb.  There was a bit of a nice view along the ridge.  I didn't think this was Raccoon Ridge.  I recalled seeing another viewpoint on the map. 

I got to mile 6 and still wasn't at Raccoon Ridge.  I hated to turn around knowing I was close.  However, I couldn't go much farther either.  I went up one more climb.  Now, I was on a ridge with seasonal views.  It seemed like it could be part of Raccoon Ridge.  It was pretty up there.

Finally, I saw a rock pile in the distance.  It looked open too.  There was a cool pine tree as well.  Indeed, I had arrived at Racoon Ridge.  There's an outstanding 360 degree view from there.  You can see the upper and lower reservoir on one side and the Delaware River and mountains on the other side.  If it wasn't getting later and it wasn't so chilly, I would've spent more time up there.  I took some photos and videos and then left.

I ate some of this organic Clif gel.  It was bad, but I did need some calories.  It took me almost 2 hours to get out.  I knew coming back would have a lot of downhill and less stops.  It would be much faster.

I ran along where I could.  Some sections were too rocky.  Downhill running was much easier though.  It wasn't long and I was back to Sunfish Pond.  I was getting tired and sore now. 

I got over the rocky section as fast as I could.  The sun actually came out for a bit.  It wasn't long and I was at the other end of Sunfish Pond.  I now knew I what I had left.  It was mostly downhill and much more runnable.

I ran a lot.  I got to a very rocky stretch and had to hike through that.  Then, it was more downhill running.  Every now and then, I twisted my ankles on rocks.  That hurt a bit.  I didn't bonk, but I was low on calories for sure.  I ate some more of the gel and drank some Tailwind.

I ran over the trail intersection.  I watched the mileage go down.  I got over mile 11.  I was starting to wear down.  At least I was mostly descending.  I cruised on all the downhills.  At times, the sun was in my eyes.  That was frustrating, with all the rocks.  I heard planes or helicopters twice, but I couldn't see them.

Most of the descending is toward the end.  With about 1.5 miles left, I saw some backpackers.  One was resting on the ground.  It was a weird time for them to be out.  They would be in the dark if they were day hiking.  If they were camping, it would be brutally cold.

I cruised on down the hills.  I went around the curve.  I stopped for some pretty setting sun photos.  I got to mile 12 and realized I had about one more mile to go.  Then, I came where the blue trail merges with the AT.

I had about half a mile to go.  I cruised on down the hill.  I had poles with me today and they helped going uphill.  I didn't need them now and closed them up.  It wasn't long and I was back to the parking lot.  I was exhausted and sore.  It felt great to finish up though.

This was slower than I thought it would be.  It was challenging, but fun.  I love checking out new areas.  Running 10 miles on pavement is so boring and seemed slow.  This was much longer time wise and much slower too, but trail running is so much more fun.  I enjoyed most of this one.

Last week, I had 35 total miles.  With three days left, I already have 33 miles.  I will likely run each day.  Tomorrow, I'll probably go back to roads and do like 7 miles.  I'm hoping to get on trails again on Saturday.  I haven't been on them much and I need to do that more.

13.02 miles - 3:27:08 (15:54 pace) 1650 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment