Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Afternoon Run to Easton

I wanted to travel for a trail run.  However, I had to work in the evening.  That meant a quick run on some pavement in the afternoon.  I decided on Riverview Park for 8 miles.

The weather was tricky again.  It was kind of too warm for tights, but too cold for shorts.  It was just under 40 degrees.  I went with shorts and the legs were a bit cold.  I had on my shell over long sleeves on the top.  I had on gloves and the headband too.

I decided to head out toward Easton.  I haven't gone that way in some time.  I was hoping to get more miles out going that way.  I don't know what it is, but this section along the canal is one of the few paved sections I never get tired of.  I think it is good on the legs.

The first mile went by in no time.  I like running by all the old historic structures.  It's cool to think about what things used to be like.  Before I knew it, I was out to mile 2.  Around there, I came across another runner going the other way.

I think I like this section so much because I don't usually see many people on it.  It is kind of isolated, but still unique along the water.  My legs weren't sore at all, even after 12 miles the night before.

I got near the Forks of the Delaware.  I came across a couple walkers.  Then, I went on south after the pavement ended.  There was a biker there waiting for a friend.

I hit mile 3 and just decided to keep on going, since I was feeling good.  This part was stone and dirt and sloppy now.  All of the recent rain took its toll.  Another biker went by.

I saw what looked like maybe tents across the river.  There might be some homeless people living there.  I'm not sure I'd want to be that close to the water.  I turned around after a half mile on the dirt section.  I was at 3.5 miles.

I headed back, with my legs now cold.  It was just a slight breeze, but still chilly.  I looked forward to getting back on the pavement.  I noticed my pace was well under 9 minutes per mile now.  That was surprising, as I wasn't running any harder than normal.

It was good to get to mile 4 and then eventually mile 5.  I looked at my watch a lot on the way back.  It was messy under the one bridge.  The river must've flooded onto the trail during the storms.

I tried to simply focus on getting to mile 7.  That would be back at my car and nearly done.  I cruised along.  I crossed the bridge from Hugh Moore Park.  I was almost home.

I got back to the parking lot at nearly mile 7.  I decided on a short out and back in the other direction.  I ran over by the softball fields.  I went back over the Chain Dam.  Some young girls were taking photos by the dam.  The water looked fierce.

Just past there I turned around.  I was nearly done.  I ran back to the car and finished up my 8 miles.  It was a productive run and surprisingly fast.  I didn't have any issues with my legs until the last mile.

Tomorrow, I'm working again in the morning.  Maybe I can get on the trail in the afternoon though.  I kind of want to go up near Mount Carmel and run somewhere new up there.  A 10 mile day would be awesome.

8 miles - 1:08:46 (8:36 pace) 134 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment