Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Dark Semi Long Run

I didn't get out either of the first two days of the week.  The cold and wind of Sunday was a good excuse, although it was better than Saturday actually.  Yesterday, it snowed.  The crazy weather continued again today, as it jumped to 50 degrees and was pouring down rain.  I headed out after dark.

It was in the low 40s when I started.  It was good enough for shorts.  The top was tricky.  I went with a long sleeve shirt under mile shell.  The gloves came on and off.  At times, it was windy and cold.  Going the other way, it go very hot.

I actually started while it was still light out, around 5:45 PM.  The plan was an easy 12 neighborhood miles.  I started by going down to the school and across to the other neighborhood.  I begin with the usual short loop, but then added some of the older sections as well.  My dinner had not quite settled yet, so I did feel slow and sluggish in the early going.  It was good to get through the first two miles.

This beginning had some hills.  By the time I finally finished this short loop plus the addition, it was dark and I was around 3.5 miles.  I headed out for the main loop.

There were some dog walkers out.  I had on my headlamp, but that got too sweaty.  I carried it in my hand instead.  Running into the wind was a challenge.  It was chilly too.

I went around and did the shortish loop out here.  That's about 1.5 miles.  I ran it in the normal direction.  I finished this part up at about 5.5 miles.  It was a mixed blessing.  This distance did go by quickly, but I couldn't believe I wasn't even halfway done.

I just continued on out.  I went up the long hill.  Then, it was over and into the other neighborhood.  This had the steepest hill.  I passed another dog walker.  I wasn't feeling great, but not terrible either.  I was at 7.5 miles shortly after heading back into the main loop.

I just tried to focus on each mile.  I knew getting to mile 9 would be good.  I plugged away slower.  The lower legs were recovered pretty well with two days off, but the quads were bothering me now.

I looked at my watch when I got to what would've been mile 2 of the Blue Eagle 5K course.  I was at 8.7 miles and would get back at 9.7 miles.  I cruised passed some more dog walkers and on to mile 9.

Shortly before that, my headlamp had died.  I had to be careful when cars came around.  It was a good thing I wore a yellow jacket though.  I guess I was pretty visible.  Most of the way back the wind was at my back.

These last couple miles sure were a struggle.  I got back to the school and to the old course finish line at 9.75 miles.  I should've just run around the school without my headlamp working, but I didn't feel like looping around there much.

I went behind the school and was thinking about going in the other neighborhood.  Then, a creature ran across in front of me.  I couldn't see it, but in case maybe it was a skunk, I decided to turn around.

I looped around the front of the school twice.  That got me near the final mile.  I decided to go into my neighborhood and do a loop there to finish up.  It was a little windy there heading into the wind, but good coming back. 

The red light on my headlamp still worked, so I could see distance.  I got back to my house and needed a little more.  I did the shortest loop around the block and finished up over 12 miles. 

My legs and back were a bit sore, but it was a good run.  I'm happy any time I can get double digit miles.  I just love night running so much more too.  I've built up a lo the last couple weeks, so it will be good to back off a bit this week.

I'd like to get on some trails tomorrow, but who knows.  I'd love to go somewhere new.  If I didn't have to work, that would help a lot with that.  If not, I'd have to get my butt moving in the afternoon.  I'm rarely good with that.

12.05 miles - 1:48:25 (9:00 pace) 280 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment