Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Solid 8

The weather made for another interesting day.  It was pouring rain basically all day.  I would've liked to have gone out during the day, but it felt chilly.  I knew it was going to warm up in the evening, so I took a chance.

I got out the door and was surprised at how warm it was out.  I had a long sleeve shirt under my shell.  I didn't need that much.  The shorts were good though.  There was a bit of a breeze out.

I lucked out with the weather.  I thought it would be raining when I started, but it wasn't.  The plan was to stay close to home, since heavy rain and thunderstorms were coming at some point.  I would've liked 10 miles, but I figured if I at least did 5, I'd be good.

I changed it up a bit.  I ran in the neighborhood on the other side of the school first.  I knew I could just about get 5 miles over there.  The headlamp still wasn't charged, so I had to be careful.  This started with some nice gradual uphill.

There are two dead end streets.  I these are good for adding distance, especially with little traffic.  I don't usually run them though, as they go downhill first and then back up.  That can be frustrating.  The legs struggled a bit with the uphills.

I didn't want to run through the industrial park.  There are usually too many cars there and without the headlamp, it wasn't worth the risk.  I did have bright clothes on though.  I think most cars saw me, although some people drive crazy in the neighborhoods.

I decided to go around the little new neighborhood by the industrial park.  On the way there, someone was standing on the road in the middle of nowhere.  It was weird.  I ran on the sidewalk where I could.

I figured that I was around mile 3 now.  I normally run the first street here.  However, they added another street and houses since I began running the area.  I'd yet to actually go on it though.  I ran there tonight.  Some of the houses were moved in, some were being built and some just had dirt lots.  I saw some shady people out at a couple houses.

This added a little distance.  I then saw the person from earlier.  This time, he was walking in the neighborhood.  It was much less weird there.  I headed up the hill and back toward the school.

I ran a little out and back toward the main road.  Then, I decided to take the second dead end road.  Up to this point, things were going great.  It was comfortable and there was no rain.

I was around mile 5 when the rain finally started coming.  By now, I was figuring on 7 miles and not even ruling out 10 miles.  I saw flashes of lightning every now and then, but heard almost no thunder.

The rain luckily didn't get too heavy.  I started toward the school and went around a circle.  I decided to instead cross the road and take a run through the other neighborhood.  I ended up going out on parts of the route that I normally run.  I was around 6 miles now. 

I cut the normal loop short though.  I was starting to feel kind of crappy.  My legs didn't have it as I approached mile 7.  I saw more lightning too.

I just cruised along though.  By now, it was clear that I'd just be shooting for 8 miles.  I'd almost be there when I got back to the school.  One of those speedy cars flew around a corner.  Luckily, it went the other direction.

I came on into the school.  I had to wait to cross the road at first, so I ran a brief out and back.  I finished up in the school parking lot with 8 miles.

The run was more productive than I thought it might be.  I was quite happy with myself.  It was a solid effort and I got lucky.  The storms were very nasty about an hour later.

My legs are feeling the 34 miles I have on them over the last 3 days.  I hope they recover well overnight.  I plan to run 3 more days this week and hopefully get 31 more miles.  A 65 mile week would be great.  The weather should be better tomorrow.  Maybe I can run on trails, although they'd be sloppy for sure.

8 miles - 1:15:44 (9:28 pace) 64 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment