Saturday, February 20, 2016

Springlike Tobyhanna

I wanted to run 10 miles today.  I wanted to be on trails, but I also wanted to RUN most of the time.  That didn't leave me with too many options.  I thought about Jacobsburg, but then realized it was a warm day and there would be horses everywhere.  They are annoying.  I opted for Tobyhanna State Park in the Poconos.  That is fairly flat and the loop around the lake is very runnable.

The weather today was amazing.  After freezing last weekend, this weekend jumped to the 50s.  Even up in the Poconos, it was still in the 50s.  I briefly thought about a jacket, because there was wind.  However, it was just too warm for that.  I went with short sleeves and shorts and it was great.  The breeze was perfect.

I started off from the main lot.  It is weird running in such warm weather, but having the lake still frozen over.  There were a ton of people hiking.  The trail is beautiful, but they put down stone.  Normally, I don't like that, but it was wet and soft, so better than normal.

The views in the beginning are great.  The trail also goes by a swimming area, which was obviously closed.  I then ran back into the woods.  I had to pass a few people, but was moving pretty well.  Then, I came near the campground.  The trail was blue blazed and very easy to follow.  The first mile flew by.

I kept looking for the other trail.  Last time, I tried to go to Gouldsboro, but that trail was just too rocky and frustrating.  I remember taking a trail when camping a few years back and it was good.  I found that trail and headed out.

This trail starts out as a woods road.  It was very runnable.  There were rocks and roots here and there, but not too bad.  I cruised along.  The plan was to go out 2.5 miles and head back.

This isn't the most exciting trail I've run on.  I was actually thrilled to get to a stream about half a mile out.  Then, I was also relieved to see a bridge over it and off to the side.  I was unsure what I would've done if not for that.  The water would've been cold, but not only that, it was high and flowing.

I ran along after crossing over the bridge.  It was quite windy, but the wind was at my back.  I was a bit hot and actually getting kind of tired.  I was more tired than I should've been this early on at least.

The trail became more singletrack and much more rocky.  There were a ton of blow downs that were frustrating.  There were some branches sticking out too.  I definitely started walking here and there.  I was still mostly running.  The most rocky stuff was surely a hike.

I kept watching each half mile click off.  I was debating when to turn around, as I wasn't enjoying the trail.  I went past a powerline and nearly ran on that.  I wasn't seeing much in the way of features.  Just dead winter woods and more dead winter woods.  I even got excited for a short evergreen section.

I was thrilled to get out 2 miles.  The trail became a little less rocky, so I kept going.  It was muddy in a couple spots, but not too bad.  I was able to run most of the time.  The trail had a lot of short up and down parts.  Near the turn around were some flat rocks.

Finally at mile 4 overall and 2.5 miles out, I turned to head back.  I expected some tough running.  There was a lot of uphill, but it was better than I expected.

I don't know why, but I was able to run much better in this direction.  Maybe it was the slight breeze.  Maybe I was focused on making it back to the main loop.  The sun was in my eyes, so that wasn't easy.  I lost the trail a few times briefly.  The yellow blazes were hard to see.

Each half mile clicked by fairly quickly.  When I got to the bridge, some young ladies were having their photo taken on it.  I had to cross it.  I told them in the summer, I might go through the water, but not today.

The last half mile or so back to the main loop was great.  It was wider and much more runnable.  I was now heading toward mile 6.5 overall.  There was still a bit of running left.

I got back to the main trail.  I looked at my watch.  My pace was a bit over 11 minutes per mile.  I knew this stretch would be much faster.  It seemed like a lot of early uphill.  I tried to run hard up the short hills, but eventually that became too exhausting.

Right as I was thinking this would be a good bike riding trail, but no one was doing that, one came the other way.  I saw a runner and dog coming that way too.  This trail was certainly very fast, but a little sloppy.

It was good getting to miles 7 and 8.  I was now right around 11 minute pace.  I didn't push, but I was probably running a little faster than I would've.  It felt so good, running in these great conditions.  I looked at the watch often.

I saw the pace drop and drop.  I had enjoyed myself, but couldn't wait to be done now.  I was back in the woods and couldn't really see the lake, so visually I couldn't see how far I had to go.  I just kept moving.

I hit mile 9 and took my watch off.  I wanted to get done under 1:45.  It looked like this would certainly happen now.  That is if I stopped at 10 miles of course.

With around half a mile to go, I came out to the dam.  I ran on top of it and it was amazing.  It was beautiful overlooking the icy water with the sun shining on a warm day.

I knew I'd be over 10 miles when I got back to my car.  I just decided that I'd keep running to my car.  I passed a couple hikers.  I knew and snow part was at the end.  This part sure was snowy.  I ran past the rest of their group.  I had to be a little careful with some of the ice.  I finished up a bit over 10 miles.

This was a pretty good run and it accomplished exactly what I was looking forward.  I took a few more days off this week, but still put in a solid 40 mile week.  I'm now ready to consistently put in 50-60 miles per week.

Tomorrow is a long run.  I'm thinking I might go to Ironton again.  I don't know, as I'd kind of like something a little longer.  I will be on pavement though.  It will be another warm day.  I look forward to that part of it.

10.16 miles - 1:45:45 (10:24 pace) 226 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment