Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Snow Covered Glen Onoko

I ran today for the third straight day.  I had to make sure I got to Glen Onoko Falls in Jim Thorpe before all the snow is gone.  It is supposed to rain heavy tomorrow.  A lot of the snow was already gone in Jim Thorpe.  We still have more left down here.

It was a warm day.  I was able to wear shorts again.  I knew the hollow could be cold and dark, so I wore my shell.  I was sweating pretty good by the end.

I parked at the main lot.  I tried to figure out where to go to get on the trail.  I put on my MICROspikes for the first time this year.  I figured it could be an icy mess.  There was so little snow early on in the sun that I began questioning that choice.

However, it didn't take long to realize this would be an ice covered trail.  There are some steep and rocky parts.  I don't think I could've even made it up without MICROspikes.  The hollow is very dark and rarely sees any sunlight, so most of the snow was still there.  I don't think they got nearly as much snow as we did.

It was beautiful going up along the falls.  It was mostly a hike.  I took my time, trying to capture photos.  There are numerous little waterfalls along the bottom.  The green leaves of the mountain laurel were cool too.

I knew there was a water crossing at one point.  I never have an issue going over it.  However, the snow melt made it a raging stream.  There was an ice bridge and a tree log.  Neither one I was comfortable using to cross.  I could see some people had crossed and others stayed on this side.  I knew the trail would come back over here anyway, so I stayed on the same side.

If I couldn't go up that side, I would've turned around.  I wasn't sure what conditions I would encounter here, so I was fully prepared to back track it if needed.  I was going to risk it alone, especially with so few hikers out.  In fact, I saw no one else on this loop.  If I got hurt, who knows when someone would've come along.

The MICROspikes were great and give incredible traction, even on the steep stuff.  I had to pull myself up with tree branches a few times.  I forgot my poles.  They might've helped.  I did slip a little once, but that was on a bare rock.  That is an issue I have to watch out for.

The two biggest falls were amazing.  They now have a rope above the top of the big waterfall.  Hopefully that will keep people from falling to their death now.  I noticed the water was really flowing in this area too.

I got to the second big waterfall and it was amazing.  There isn't a lot of water, but there is a sheer cliff.  There were giant frozen sections along the wall.  Near the base of the waterfall was the coolest part of the loop.  Huge chunks of ice were there and had fallen on to the trail from above.

I decided to hike up this ice.  This would really test my MICROspikes and they passed with flying colors.  I made sure to check overhead that nothing else could fall on me.  There was nothing.  The chunks on the trail could've seriously injured or even killed someone when they fell.

After this section, it was more hiking uphill. I lost the trail a couple times, but it is blazed now.  I think that is an improvement from the first time I was there.  Some parts up here were seeing sunlight and thus were bare trail.

Finally, I got to the top.  I had to readjust my MICROspikes.  Eventually, the trail became clear and I took them off.  Somehow I missed the part where the trail stays on the ridge.  Instead, I kept dropping down.

Eventually, I came to where I was hoping to go.  I was running some now, but still not a lot.  I had to put my MICROspikes back on now, because it became a little icy and snowy.  Plus, I was going downhill.  Plenty of the rocks were exposed, so I had to be cautious.

Finally, I reached the bottom of the loop.  I was only at a little over 2 miles.  Earlier, I thought about running on the ridge, but that would've been kind of useless.  I decided I'd add some mileage on the D&L.

I headed to the D&L, passing a biking couple.  It was too sloppy and messy and too much work.  Instead, I dropped the MICROspikes in the car and ran on the paved road in.

This road it quite long.  My plan was to run to 3.75 miles and then turn and run back.  That would get me to my goal of 5 miles.  Going out seemed so long.  I was still very sore from the last two days.  I didn't feel it much on the trail part, but I sure felt it on pavement.

A few cars went by and the biking couple again.  Toward the end, I saw a young lady running.  She was blasting music, so I didn't say "hi."

I eventually was able to hit the turnaround point.  It was great to get to mile 4.  With my soreness, I kept looking at my watch and couldn't wait for it to be over.  Finally, I was done.

This was an easier day than the last couple.  It was good to get on some trail.  It was also nice to take in the great scenery.  I love coming to Glen Onoko.  I wish it was closer.

I hope to run yet again tomorrow.  I'm piling on the mileage this week.  If I do run, it will be shortish (5-7 miles).  I may go to Jacobsburg.  It will be raining a lot, so that could be interesting.

5.01 miles - 1:20:06 (16:00 pace) 767 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment