Thursday, February 11, 2016

Cold Night Run

I had a tough decision when to run.  In the afternoon, it was 24 degrees, but the wind was howling like crazy.  It was 17 MPH then.  I opted to go out after dark.  Then, it would drop to 20 degrees, but the wind would only be 9 MPH.  I headed out around 8 PM to run 7 miles around the neighborhoods.

I decided to dress with more today.  I wore a ColdGear top with a fleece vest.  I had on a winter hat, which was probably too much.  I had on thin tights with shorts over them.  That wasn't enough, as my legs were very red afterward.  In one direction, it was comfortable, but the other way was cold, with the wind.

I started with a loop around my neighborhood.  That was comfortable at first, but then became cold as I turned and headed west.  I went down to the school and looped around once.  I often go to the neighborhood across the street from the school.  Today, I wanted to go to the one on the other side of it.

I headed there and up the slight ascent.  This was into the wind and cold.  I turned to the dead end road and did an out and back.  That was comfortable going out and then cold coming back.  I thought about going out and back on the second road, but opted not to.

I headed to the small block of townhouses.  This had a nice downhill that was with the wind at my back.  I was going to loop around there, but I decided to keep going to the small industrial park.  I went to the end of the road and then back.

The industrial park road was crazy busy.  I guess everyone was getting out of dance class.  I ran a loop around that building.  I think I was now past the halfway point of the run, maybe farther.

I now went to the townhouse neighborhood.  I looped around that.  I was over 5 miles and heading to 5.5 miles.  I knew this remaining stretch back to the school would be great.  It was downhill with the wind at my back.  I got to mile 6.

Then, I was about to take the path back to the school.  However, I heard a dog barking and saw a backyard light on.  I think the dog next to the path might've been out.  I opted not to go there, even though I think it stays in the yard.

I looped back around and crossed the road.  I decided I would add an extra mile to the run now.  I don't normally run this stretch and another dog was out.  It started chasing me a little, until I began to walk.  Then its owner was able to call it back in.

I headed on the slight uphill.  Now, I was nearly done.  I looped around the usual part and went back to the school.  As I reentered my neighborhood, I hit mile 8.  I decided to keep running to my house to finish up.  I didn't need to walk much in the cold.

It was a productive run.  I really enjoy the cold.  I just make sure to wear enough.  This weekend will be crazy cold though, so that should be interesting.  I plan to run anyway, but I'll need extra layers for sure.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping for 7 miles.  I might go out to Hershey for some wrestling.  Therefore, I'm not sure when or where I'll be running.

8.08 miles - 1:11:58 (8:55 pace) 63 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment