Sunday, February 28, 2016

Springlike Jacobsburg

It is the end of February, but today it felt like spring already.  Even though I've run 6 straight days, getting out today was a must.  I wasn't looking for the usual long run Sunday though.  I opted to get out to Jacobsburg for a few miles.

As I mentioned, the weather was gorgeous.  No need for anything but shorts and short sleeves.  I forgot to bring a Buff to wipe my face.

I knew the park would be crowded, but didn't anticipate just how crazy it was.  I normally park in the new lot by the main building anyway.  Today, the lower lot was full and that lot only had about 3 empty spaces.  Usually, it only has 3 cars parked there at most when I go there.

I decided to run the route a little different.  I headed out toward Sober's Run.  Not surprisingly, there were a ton of people already, as I just started.  Many, many hikers and a lot of them had their dogs out.

I crossed the road and ran along.  I headed to Sober's Run.  I went out on the singletrack first.  This is one of my favorite sections.  I cruised along on the ridge.  Luckily, this part isn't popular and I was the only one on it at the time.  The people watching had distracted me earlier and now I was distracted by the awesome trail.

As I came out the wider stone section, I came across some mountain bikers.  Then, I went around a hiker in the slop.  I got to the small lot after crossing the creek.  Then, it was on toward the powerline.

As I neared the powerline, a little girl was running.  Her dad was behind her.  I thought he had on a facemask and I found that very odd.  Turns out it was a massive beard.  His son was behind him.  He said hello to me and I asked him if he was having a good time.  He said he was and I smiled.

Now, it was up the powerline.  This isn't hard, but it sure reminded me just how out of shape I am.  I was huffing and puffing most of the way.  Sure, I've run a bunch recently, but not hard.  Also, I have to get used to the warm air.  I did make it up the powerline climb though.

Going downhill was interesting.  There was a huge washout.  All the stone was gone and I could see the pipe they set up for drainage.  I never knew it existed.  Around this point, I was somewhere around 3 to 3.5 miles.

I cruised downhill.  Around one turn, I came to two horses.  Luckily, I had plenty of room.  They were the only horses of the day.  I wanted to add mileage, so at the bottom of the hill, I did the out and back.  A mountain biker passed me on the way out.

I ran back and then took the singletrack along the creek.  A few people were out there, including a couple dogs.  Throughout the run, a few dogs barked at me.  They were all leashed though.  The part along the creek wasn't too bad.  It was a little muddy.

I headed back toward the main lot.  I wanted to make sure to get more mileage.  Instead of going back to the car, I opted to run up behind the new building.  This climb was struggle too.  At least I kept running and my pace wasn't terrible.

I then got to the ridge singletrack.  This was kind of fun.  It was all sloppy mud.  It gets no sun.  Passing people was kind of challenging here.

I continued to head around and over the creek.  Before crossing, I had a fun downhill section.  Then, I crossed and ran out to the nearby lot.  I was getting close to mile 6 now. 

I decided to go out to the road and back nearby.  This was uphill to start, but downhill to finish.  I began heading back along the creek and the most popular trail.  I knew it would be a pain running around people and it sure was.

It was cool to see people on the ridge above, thanks to the trees having no leaves.  That area feel cool too, from the creek.  It looked pretty, with some ice still hanging off the cliffs.  They never see any sun.

I finished up this trail.  I headed back to my car in the other lot.  The lots were clearing a little now, as it was late afternoon.  They were still crazy though.  I finished up with over 7 miles.

This was a solid day.  I'm not a huge Jacobsburg fan and I don't like crowds.  However, it is hard not to enjoy a day like today, especially after winter.

My body could use a day off.  I'd love to take a rest day tomorrow.  However, it is supposed to be warm and I may have to take advantage.  I'd love to hit up some more trails.  I do need to rest soon though.

7.26 miles - 1:09:54 (9:38 pace) 451 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment