Friday, February 12, 2016

Hershey Run

I was in Hershey for the state wrestling tournament today.  I had to fit in a run.  I needed 7 miles.  Nazareth won their first match, so I had almost 4 hours of down time.  I decided to run in between.

I knew it wasn't quite as cold as yesterday, but still it was cold.  I decided to go with my fleece vest over my lightweight long sleeve shirt.  I had tights, a headband and gloves.  Even though it was cold, it wasn't as bad as earlier in the week.  My legs weren't red afterward.  It was slightly less windy.

I thought about a couple loops around the edge of the parking lot.  Then, I saw there was a paved trail somewhere in town.  I didn't know exactly where, but I decided to head out of the park and try to run to it.  Most of the first mile was around the parking lot and park area.  It was cool running by all the roller coasters.

I then went under a tunnel.  I crossed the main street and continued through town.  These streets weren't too busy.  Somewhere near mile 2, I found Hershey High School.  Their complex was huge, so I figured I'd at least run around it.

Then, I saw the trail.  I ran on it around the perimeter of the complex.  There was some tough uphill.  I've put in a big week and my lower legs are starting to get sore.  That was slowing me down, but I kept moving along.  I was determined to finish this run as planned.

I went through some of the school parking lot, as I approached mile 3.  Then I saw the smoke stacks to the chocolate plant.  I decided to run toward them and take a photo.  I then started to head back in the direction I began at.

The legs came around a little.  Around mile 4, I knew where I was now.  Since I still needed more miles, I did an out and back near the plant.  Every now and then I took some photos.

After the out and back, I found a different route back to where I had started.  I ran out near the old arena and football stadium.  I had a long run through the parking lot remaining and still over a mile to go.

I realized I'd be short of 7 miles at my car, so I ran around a snowbank in the parking lot.  I was surprised at how much snow that area still had.  Ours is pretty much gone now. 

I ran back in front of the Giant Center.  I was still a little short of my goal, so I added some parking lot running.  I then finished up with over 7 miles.

It wasn't a great run, but it was solid.  It was fun to explore some place new.  The scenery of Hershey is cool too.  At least I know where to go next time I'm in town.

Tomorrow is the end of the week.  It should be interesting, because it is supposed to be brutally cold.  I'm hoping to knock out 12 miles and get over 60 miles for the week.  My legs are starting to feel the pounding of the pavement, so I'd really like to get on some trails.  Mostly likely, I'll be running in the afternoon.

 7.06 miles - 1:05:56 (9:21 pace) 164 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment