Sunday, January 31, 2016

Almost Springlike

I started off last week good, but I slacked off after that.  I haven't run in a few days.  I had to get out there today.  Originally, I thought of going to Jim Thorpe, but figured it would be too crowded on a weekend.  Instead, I went for the pavement at Riverview Park.

The temperature was unseasonably warm.  It was near 50 degrees.  I wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt for the mid afternoon run.  It was pretty good, although I could feel some coolness from either the snow around the trail or the river.

I thought about going out and back each way.  I originally thought that 7 miles would be good.  I extended that to possibly 8 miles, as I went along.  I headed out toward the Boat Launch.

Earlier in the week, I was here and it was snow covered.  Now, things had been cleared.  There was a bunch of wet snowmelt running along the pavement.  I got slightly wet feet at times, but it wasn't too bad.  The sun was in my eyes and that was kind of annoying.

The first mile was tough.  My legs weren't hurting, but they had a mild soreness.  I guess it was from riding the exercise bike last night for an hour.  For some reason, I struggled breathing in the air too, even though I was going easy.  I think it was that coolness in the air that was giving me problems.

I didn't worry about pace.  I just cruised along easy.  There were a few people out walking and some folks on bikes.  Still, it is winter, so the path wasn't busy.

The first 1.5 miles seemed slow.  I wanted to get to the Boat Launch and see if it was plowed.  I did and it had been cleared.  I thought I'd go up the hill next though.

This section is a long and gradual hill, following an old railroad bed.  It was challenging to keep running the slight incline with sore legs.  I knew it would be sweet on the way back and that was my motivation to keep on going.

I really wanted to make it to 2.5 miles before heading back.  As I got higher, the scenery was beautiful.  It was snow covered woods below.  There is a road to the Boat Launch, but it is narrow and really it is an old hollow.  That looks neat with all the leaves down and the snow covering everything.  I don't know if I've run this section in the fall, but I bet it is cool when the leaves peak too.

I kept going and going.  I got to 2.5 miles and then 3 miles.  I knew I could handle coming back.  I just had to deal with the constant incline.  I passed a man and later a woman walking. 

Once I got to 3.5 miles, I figured I might as well just head to mile 4.  I crossed the old train bridge over the road and that was basically the turnaround point.  I headed back after 4 miles.

It is somewhat flat and even sloped up a little in the beginning.  I cruised along, checking my pace a little, but not worrying about it.  I finally started going gradually downhill.  That was a huge break for my legs.

I enjoyed the scenery some more.  I passed the woman and the man again.  I was flowing now.  It was good to get to mile 5.  I really focused on mile 6 though, because that would be the Boat Launch.

After cruising downhill, I was finally near the Boat Launch.  The upper path that I had been on was clear, without any water going across the trail.  Now, I had puddles again.

It didn't feel as good to be back on to the flat, but I kept going.  It was only 2 more remaining miles.  I saw a skateboarder and more people walking.  I watched the distance click away.  Eventually, I made it to mile 7.

I thought my watch was clicking off distance too fast.  However, it seems like it was pretty accurate in the end.  I guess I sped up a bit.  I'm sure the downhill helped.  Before I knew it, I was back to Riverview and had completed the 8 mile run.

I was happy to get out there.  The warmth of the day was nice.  It was a productive run.  I need to get myself out there more often.  I want to lose more weight.  That will take some hard work.

Tomorrow, I'm hopeful I'll get to Jim Thorpe.  The plan would be to hike/run Glen Onoko Falls.  That is probably spectacular in the winter time.  I'm sure the path has been well used by now.

8 miles - 1:07:42 (828 pace) 290 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment