Friday, January 8, 2016

First Run of 2016

I finally had the desire to run for the first time in 2016.  I didn't realize that I had not run since December 27th.  I would've run earlier in the week, but I developed a cold.  I didn't want to make that worse.

The plan was to run 6 miles.  It was around 3:30 PM, so I didn't have time for or the desire for more.  I wanted something easy, but also something that is sort of trail.  I opted for the D&L starting at the Route 33 Boat Launch.  I would head toward Freemansburg.

It was cloudy and finally a winter like day.  I've been used to running in super warm.  That said, it was still probably above average, as it was about 40 degrees.  I was able to continue running in shorts.  I wore a short sleeve shirt with a shell over it.  I had on a headband, but that was short lived.

I headed out feeling okay.  It was weird running for the first time in so long.  It would've been nice along the river, if only the sun was out.  I do like the scenery in this section, but there is a lot of sameness to it, so it can get old quickly.

I noticed some prints in the soft ground.  They went for a bit.  I could not tell if it was a dog or an animal.  It seemed to take awhile just to get to mile 1.  I was hoping for 3 miles out and 3 more back, but clicking off distance was a real struggle today.  It was a slow go.

I saw a woman with a couple dogs.  I passed a guy walking too.  There were a few people out, but not many.  I looked at the river some.  There wasn't much activity though.  I later did see some pretty white girls on it.  Some noisy ones were overhead as well.  I'm glad I wasn't pooped on.

Farmersville Road seemed to take forever to get to.  It was around mile 2, so that was good.  I continued to cruise along.  The air was slightly cold, at least compared to my latest runs.  I had some difficulty breathing.  It would've been a real issue if I was running hard.

I couldn't remember the distances on this path, since it has been so long.  I figured it to be about 4 miles to Freemansburg.  I was probably correct, as I turned around well short of there, at mile 3.  I noticed a lot of roots on the trail were painted (probably from the VIA Marathon).

It was good to be heading back.  I didn't feel strong, but I was okay.  I was just moving forward was about all I could say.  I started thinking of some things and ended up getting depressed.  Some people get better mentally from a run.  For me, it doesn't do much.

I was startled by a biker who called out to me.  I let him pass.  I passed the walker again later on.  Most of the time, I had the trail to myself.  It was good to get to mile 4.

Two more miles wasn't much, but at my slow pace, it seemed long.  I thought I was running a quicker pace than I actually was.  I calculated wrong in my head.  That was no big deal though, as I was in no hurry.

It was great when I could see the Route 33 Bridge in sight.  I was startled by what I guess was a bird feeder in a tree next to the trail.  It was a turkey one.  At first, I thought perhaps it was a real turkey.  I did think that that would be odd to see in a tree though.

It's funny because I now often look for cool places off trail and high up.  Some time, I want to meditate in places like this.  Maybe I will do so in the summer.  I did find a cool rock up high today.

I got to the bridge overhead around 5.5 miles.  I figured I'd get back to my car very close to mile 6.  It turns out that I couldn't be closer.  I had one last uphill at the boat launch.  I got to the car then at mile 5.99.

This wasn't a great run or a terrible run.  It was just a run.  It was kind of good to get out there for the first time in awhile.  I'm sure not energized by it though.

Maybe I need to get back on some trails.  It has been some time since I've done a trail run.  I'm hoping for one with Angie on Monday.  I'm considering traveling to a new trail somewhere tomorrow.  We'll see where the energy level is.

6 miles - 50:11 (8:22 pace) 108 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment