Sunday, January 24, 2016

Neighborhoods With Angie

Of course no surprise, I haven't run in a week.  Yesterday was a blizzard.  It was probably the worst snow we've seen in my lifetime.  Luckily, it ended early on Sunday and the roads were plowed and the driveway cleaned.

I asked Angie where she was running.  I was about to head out, as she still didn't contact me by 3 PM.  However, she said she'd run if she had somewhere to go.  I told her my neighborhoods were fairly clear, lots of black pavement, and we could run there.  She needed 10 miles, so she hustled over.

It was in the 20s when we started, but it seemed warm with the sun out.  I guess I should've worn shorts over my tights, as my legs were red after the run.  I didn't feel that cold.  I had on gloves most of the time and just my shell over a short sleeve shirt.  That was enough.

Since the black path wasn't plowed, she parked at the school and we ran across the road to start.  We drove the first short loop beforehand, so we confirmed the roads were in as good shape as my roads.  The pace was a little slower than my typical runs, so that was a little nice.

We did the short loop and were done with that in no time.  I did look at the watch and realized we still had quite some distance to go though.  I have only run 10 miles once in the last two months.  I'm not used to that much.

We then headed to the main loop.  There weren't too many cars out or many people either.  We were chatting away, so distance was clicking off pretty fast.  That is one thing I love about running with people and especially her.  We talked about running, friends and so many other things.

We went across the road to the hill climb.  That wasn't bad.  Before that, we ran past some kids playing around in the snow.  They looked like they were having fun.  I was enjoying the run and it seemed fairly quick, but it was still only 4.5 miles when I looked down at one point.

At least we were now heading back.  We had a smaller loop to do yet though.  We were cruising along.  Heading into the loop, the conversation really picked up and my mind really wandered.  This loop went by quickly and I really enjoyed Angie listening.  I was probably annoying at some points.

We headed back.  Two women were walking and one of them said their dog wanted to run with us.  I knew we'd be a couple miles short, if we didn't cross the highway and go to the other neighborhood.

We went over there and were chatting even more.  We had a gradual uphill.  I turned us around at the end of the street.  My legs had been starting to hurt around 6.5 miles.  Luckily, I was so in conversation that I kind of blocked it out.  I was starting to chafe a bit though.

The setting sun was a bright red and it was beautiful.  Angie pointed it out and I noticed it too.  We had figured that it would still be somewhat light out when we finished.

We crossed back over the road and headed for home.  I asked her what distance her watch was at and it was 9 miles.  I was a little ahead of that.  We had another small uphill and then went around the block.

I was kind of just making up the route as we went.  It worked out pretty well though, as we were basically at 10 miles at the school.  We stopped and crossed into the parking lot.

It was a great run.  I'll be a little sore now.  Running 10 miles with someone always goes by quickly.  That is especially true with Angie.

Tomorrow, another friend, Melissa and I might go to do some snowshoe running.  High Point State Park in New Jersey grooms their trails.  Neither of us have run much on snowshoes, so that should be fun.  I look forward to more snow covered trail runs too.

10.06 miles - 1:32:50 (9:14 pace) 244 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment