Saturday, January 16, 2016

Chillier Than Anticipated

I actually decided to run for a second straight day.  It was only a short 5 miler around the neighborhood, but even that is rare.  I wanted to go Hawk Mountain, but it was too far away and we were going to dinner.  I couldn't take a chance.

The weather forecast showed mid 40s.  Rather than a jacket, I just went with a long sleeve shirt and shorts.  It was worse than I expected.  It didn't appear to be windy, but one direction was super breezy.  It was also cloudy, so that didn't help.  I didn't need more clothes, but it did make my eyes water.

I started off at the elementary school.  Some kids were playing hoops behind it.  That is a rarity these days.  I was in the other neighborhood in no time.  I wasn't hurting at all, but I sure felt fat and slow today.  I plodded along.

Even small hills make me work quite a bit these days.  The one in the other neighborhood did today.  I was going into the chilly headwind then too.  That was tough, but I battled on.

It was good to finish a mile, but a long way to go.  I sputtered along.  Getting to the downhill and having the wind at my back was excellent.  Now, I was almost too hot, as I headed to the industrial park.

I ran there and to the end of it.  I looped around the building, as I often do.  I was around 2.1 miles now.  I'd definitely need to add on a bit to get to mile 5.

I knew coming back would be the worst part and it was.  I went in the neighborhood for a short bit.  That seemed to block a little of the wind and some of the hill climb.  However, I was still going up the hill into the wind in no time.

Once I got past that, it was a cruise downhill with wind at my back.  I was around 3.5 miles.  I figured I'd probably have to add about half a mile at the end.

I got back to the school and the kids were still out there.  I then ran the loop around the parking lot.  The lot was busy.  I guess they had some basketball games going on.  That's where I used to play and I miss those days.

As I reached my neighborhood, I had 3/10 of a mile to go.  I finished the shortest loop.  I was calculating my pace and figured that I was now under an 8:15.  It didn't feel that fast, that is for sure.

I had to go a little past my house.  I finished up a block away, at mile 5.  I walked back to finish off the run.  It wasn't the best run.  Most of my runs suck now.  However, I got out there for a second straight day.  That is rare.

Even more rare would be if I run again tomorrow, as I plan.  I hope I can make it up to Hawk Mountain.  I'll also go to Cabela's to shop, if I do that.  I need some camping gear.  That run would be about 8 miles on the AT, if I take the route I want.  I'm hoping to see a cool sign and also a mailbox on the trail.

5 miles - 41:01 (8:13 pace) 53 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment