Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Back in Philly

I went to a concert in Philly this evening.  I added in a running trip too.  I thought about snowshoeing at Wissahickon.  However, running along the Schuylkill on the cleared pavement seemed like an easier option. 

I planned on 5 miles.  I decided to park behind the Art Museum and head south.  I haven't run there in years and there's a cool boardwalk section where the trail goes over the water now.  I wasn't sure if it would be cleared after snow, but figured it would be worth a try.

I wore shorts since it was over 40.  That was great with my shell.  I didn't wear my headband or gloves for long.  It was windy though.  I almost forgot how windy it is along the water.

I ran south.  The plan was to go easy, but the excitement of the big city and running people must've done me in.  I found myself cruising along at a quick clip.  Even with fewer people out than in the summer, I was still feeling like I was being pulled along.

I was surprised when I saw a 7:35 on the first mile.  I didn't think I was moving that fast.  My legs felt good and I continued on.

I was disappointed to find not only was the path to the boardwalk closed, but there was a cop car there with a construction sign.  I was a little over a mile out now.  I had hoped to be farther.  Instead of turning around, I started up a ramp to the street above.  That gave me some elevation.

I headed back down the other side of the ramp and back down to the path.  I'd have to head back to the Art Museum and go out the other way.  It was a little breezy this way.  I was still clicking off a decent pace.  I knew I could sustain this, but it certainly wasn't comfortable.  Then again, it wasn't hard either.

I tried to tell myself to back off a little.  That rarely works to slow me down though, other than maybe slightly slower.  Mile 2 was faster at 7:28.  I got to Boat House row around 2.5 miles.  Only halfway done.

I headed out past those.  Then, I was really exposed to the wind.  I had forgotten just how back this section was.  I ran so many winter loops there over the years and it brought back many memories.

I knew I had to push out.  The plan was to turn around at 3.75.  I passed a couple young women.  There weren't as many attractive ones out as I'm used to.  It seemed like a struggle and I did slow down, but it was great to get to the turnaround point.

I was heading back and tiring a bit.  However, I was glad the wind was now at my back.  I thought I'd be faster, but I wasn't.  A 7:49 mile, with most of it against the wind crushed my chance for a sub 7:30.

Because of that, I slowed down and cruised on in to the finish.  I stopped right after the last boathouse.  It was perfect timing.  It was a pretty good short workout.  It was a little tiring and quicker than I've been doing.

Inspired by that pace, I might do something even quicker tomorrow.  It won't be hard, but maybe I'll go faster for short segment.  It might be more like a fartlek.

5 miles - 38:14 (7:39 pace) 79 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment