Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Riverview Snowshoe Run/Hike

I had to get something done today.  My dad wanted XC ski.  We decided to go to Riverview Park and see if they plowed there.  If they did, it would be a regular run.  If not, it would be a snowshoe run.  Nothing was touched.

I headed out ahead of him.  It was almost 40 degrees.  Since I would be kicking up snow though, I couldn't wear shorts.  That was kind of frustrating.

A bunch of people had walked through the trail.  That seemed promising, but I figured it wouldn't last long.  It only lasted to the building next the softball fields.  It was probably just dog walkers.

I ran easy, but it wasn't easy once the tracks were gone.  Suddenly, there were no tracks at all and I was blazing trails.  It was fascinating to see all the animal tracks.  At one point, I did follow deer tracks.

I'd run until I was tired, then I'd hike.  I would tire quite quickly.  At half a mile out, I was determined to make it 1.5 miles out.  It didn't matter how long it took.

It indeed was long.  I saw this brown thing in the distance.  I thought it was an animal.  It took me forever to get there.  Eventually I realized it was a log.  There was a fence there too.

Getting over a mile was great, when it finally happened.  The trail was pretty, with the snow cover and the frozen river too.  If only I wasn't working so hard and could actually enjoy it.

Right near the turn around was the best part of the run.  Two deer ran right across the trail.  I didn't have my camera out and couldn't get it out in time.  There was smoke coming out of a house up above.

I turned around at 1.5 miles.  I stopped because I could see the deer up above.  I watched them for awhile and they watched me.  I got a few photos, but they weren't very good as the deer were hidden in among the trees.

I ran on back.  The first half mile wasn't too bad, but it was still pretty deep out this far.  It was a little easier with my other tracks there now.  There was also one set of footprints.

It was nice to get to mile 2.  However, I now encountered a problem.  My snowshoes don't close properly over my foot.  The front of my foot slid out of the binding.  I couldn't run and even walking was a pain.  There was a giant clump of ice building up in it, below my foot.

I tried to go on.  Then, I found a stick, but the ice wouldn't budge.  I had to keep walking along.  Finally, I was able to break the ice and get the strap back on. 

I was back in business and back to running again.  It was nice to get near the last half mile and stuff that I know.  I still wasn't running much.  It seems like I'd start at a low spot and then run a short distance and the snow would be too high.  I definitely needed more packed down trail.

I mostly just hiked on in.  My right binding then had the same problem and the right foot slipped out of it.  That was so frustrating.  I need to get some velcro straps I think.  I noticed that my dad didn't have any XC ski tracks, as I got close to the path.

I finally saw him and his tracks.  I guess he just went out and back a short distance, over and over again.  I didn't want to ruin his tracks, but I didn't want to make a new path either.  I went over them. 

I tried to take my loose shoe off, but I couldn't.  Instead, I stumbled on in.  I took them off at the end of the trail.  I was soaked and this was an exhausting 3 miles.  It was slow, but I made a path.

Tomorrow, I'm going down to Philly for a concert.  I'll probably run down there.  I might snowshoe run, but more likely, I'll go around the river.  I have not done that loop in some time.  I don't know that I'd be up for all 8 miles of pavement, but maybe.

3 miles - 1:05:55 (21:58 pace) 33 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment