Sunday, December 27, 2015

Back to Riverview

I've been wanting to get Tammany for some time now.  Even though it is warm, it has been gloomy.  This morning, it was super foggy, so I passed on that run again.

Back when I used to run pavement regularly, Riverview Park was the one place I didn't get sick of.  I'm not even sure why that is.  I haven't run there in well over a year.  I decided to head there on this miserable afternoon.

It was cloudy and there was a slight chill in the air.  However, it was still too warm for a jacket.  With no breeze, I opted for shorts and a short sleeve shirt.  That was perfect. 

At first, I considered heading to the Boat Launch.  Then, I opted to go the other way, toward Easton.  It has been so long, that I was unsure of the mileage in this direction.  The plan was for a 7 mile day.  I'd run out until I felt like it and then turn around.  If needed, I'd go the other way.

I saw a few walkers and bikers early on.  There weren't many people out though.  I ran over the bridge over the Lehigh River.  I was on the canal path now.  There were some shady looking guys, but they did nothing.

The first mile felt a bit crappy, but it got better as I ran along.  Still, I continue to feel sluggish and heavy now.  I guess that is because I am.  My fitness is quite low.  

The river was rushing pretty good.  I stared at it and some of the old structures that are all along the canal towpath.  Most of the run was uneventful though.  As I approached Easton, I was nearing three miles.

I thought about turning around at the Forks of the Delaware, but decided to continue on the path along the Delaware River.  This would be another .5 miles out and back.  This section is stone, but it wasn't too bad, even with all the recent rain. 

I did enjoy this part, but couldn't wait to get back.  I turned around at 3.5 miles.  It was nice to click off every half mile after.

I guess maybe why I like running here is that the back part doesn't seem so bad.  Usually, going out is fine, but coming back sucks.  That isn't the case on this route.  Still, I wasn't in great spirits with the terrible weather.  It has put a damper on my energy all around right now.

Before I knew it, I was back near Hugh Moore Park and then running over the Lehigh River again.  I ran back to Riverview Park and finished up right where I started.  The pace was under 8:30, so I was happy with that.

It was good to get something done.  It wasn't a terrible run or a great run.  Any run I can do these days, I'll take.  Running is still such a struggle right now.

Tomorrow, I'd like to try Tammany.  However, it appears to be another crappy day in store for us.  I'll play it by ear.  Maybe I can at least run somewhere.

7 miles - 58:34 (8:22 pace) 108 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment