Thursday, December 24, 2015

Super Warm 5 Miles

The last few days have been yuck rain.  I didn't run.  Today, was supposed to crush all kinds of records for warmest temperature.  Christmas Eve and it is supposed to be around 70 degrees.  Still, I wanted to run.

I had a morning order and an evening order at work.  I opted to run around my neighborhood right after the first order.  It was cloudy and didn't seem too warm.  Boy, was I wrong.  I wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt and wished that I had even less on.

The plan was the standard 5 mile loop.  It encompasses the other neighborhood, plus a small neighborhood across another road.  I headed out from my house, feeling pretty crappy.  I thought it would subside.

It never did though.  I felt like death throughout the run, even going easy.  Breathing was a struggle.  It was just too muggy for this time of year.  It felt like the miles you run after crashing bad in a marathon.

A bunch of people were out running.  Luckily, all of them seemed to be going different ways, with all the neighborhood options.  With my suffering, I could envision a 9 year old girl blowing by me.

I struggled up every hill.  It seemed forever to get to mile 2.  I eventually made it to the other little neighborhood.  This is the steepest hill and it was torture.  A guy was walking his dog up it.  He was probably laughing at me.

After the top, another guy was going to his car.  He started signing, "It's beginning to look a lot like Easter" (instead of Christmas).  I got a chuckle out of that.  As much as I could anyway with my suffering.  I didn't even have the energy to say anything witty back.

I was so glad to get to mile 3.  I was suffering so much that I even contemplated stopping there and walking back.  If I was planning anything more than 5 miles, I probably would've cut the run short.  It just wasn't very productive.

At least I was running a sub 8:30 pace.  What a struggle though.  I could barely make it up hills.  With all the trail running I do, road hills don't bother me much any more.  However, today they were a beast.

I actually didn't even care about miles from this point.  I just thought about the hills left, as it was that bad.  I got to the next one, which would be the 2nd to last one, around mile 4.  I struggled up that.

I must've looked at my watch about a million times.  When I was at 3.1 miles, I thought that being at 4.1 miles would be awesome.  Getting to 4.1 miles was a milestone.  I took my watch off then, for the rest of the run.

I usually like to do that as a symbol that I'm almost done.  I still had one more hill though.  Normally, I go even farther here and slightly uphill.  However, today I cut straight across at the top.  I ran back to the highway and across the street to the school.

I finished up before the black path.  There was no way I'd be running up that anyway.  I had 5 miles in the books and was thrilled to be done.  It was so bad that I even got dizzy when I walked in the house later.

I could do without this weather.  I don't know when winter will arrive.  I don't need a lot of cold, but I could use some.  I could also use some snow.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to make it to Mt. Tammany.  I'd love to get in 2 loops.  I have Christmas lunch first though.  I may not make it up there in time.  I'll play it by ear.

5 miles - 41:30 (8:18 pace) 109 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment