Thursday, January 28, 2010

Windy Evening

This evening's run tested my limits. I worked all day and rested for a bit when I got home. By that time, it was dark, freezing and windy. It was definitely close to the worst weather that I've run in.

There was still no question as to whether I'd get out and run though. I did have some concerns though when I went to start my watch. There was only 11% battery life left. I just hoped to make it to mile three and the turnaround.

I started off at the Art Museum. I took it easy in the early going. It was so tough though. The wind was very brutal. Having my jacket on was a big help, but it still was far from comfortable. I took my hood down because it never fits right. It ends up acting like a sail.

I was impressed with how many people were actually out running. A lot of dedicated runners. There were some very fast runners out. One passed me while we were going directly into a headwind. Not sure how he maintained that pace, but good luck to him. I passed quite a few people myself.

After I got to the grandstands, things weren't as bad. The wind died down a bit. The way back was relatively calm as well. My IT band was the real problem. It really bothered me throughout a lot of the run, even at the easy pace.

I've been doing some leg lifts. Hopefully that'll help with the IT band. I did 4 hill sprints as well. My body just has to recover better from the Wednesday run. Hopefully I'll adapt better in a few weeks.

I was amazed as mile after mile went by and my watch didn't die. Sure enough, it finally gave up as I was about to finish. I got to 5.98 miles before that happened.

I work early tomorrow morning. Since I have an 8 mile progression run, I'll likely wait until after work. I do like evening runs as long as the weather cooperates.

6 miles, 5.98 recorded - 47:49 (7:59 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment