Sunday, January 3, 2010

21 Feels Like 5

Today was the worst conditions I've ever run in. Weather.com said it was 21 degrees and feels like 5 degrees. The wind was unbearable. Even with this tough test, I completed my 10 mile long run. Not that there's been any question about my dedication, but this assures me that I'm committed to training.

I decided to start the loop on West River Drive, rather than Kelly Drive. That was still brutal, but appeared to be a better decision. As if things weren't frustrating enough, my GPS watch couldn't find a signal. I just started running anyways. After about 3/4 of a mile, it started to work and I tracked my workout.

The wind blast in my face as I crossed over the river. It's usually at its worst there. It didn't get much better though, at least until I got to the Columbia Bridge. The headwind was pretty strong and the gusts nearly blew me over. It took a big toll on my legs, as they had to work much harder than usual. The first 3 miles already felt like I had run 15.

I continued to battle though. I started off with a hat under my hood and two pairs of gloves. I took the hat off and switched to a headband and only one pair of gloves. That helped prevent me from overheating.

After the Columbia Bridge, things weren't as bad and I took my hood off at one point. The hood always seems to cause problems. When I tightened it, it blocks my left eye. It's really quite frustrating. My eyes watered because of the cold, throughout most of the first half of the run. That made it hard to see. This is an ongoing issue that usually clears up after a few minutes. Today, it didn't though.

I continued on and was relieved when I got to Falls Bridge. It was much better running in the other direction. At that point, I was so worn out though. I kept going and my IT band actually bothered me from working so hard. I got through it though. From the Strawberry Mansion Bridge to the grandstand, the wind was in my face again. That was very frustrating.

After the Columbia Bridge, the wind shifted back to a comfort level. I got an extra boost over the next 1.5 miles as I passed 5 runners (4 different groups). That was encouraging. I was actually surprised that people running the other direction weren't hurting that much.

I finished the loop up pretty strong. I then proceeded to run back about 0.8 miles. That was the worst wind yet. It was nearly impossible to go anywhere. I couldn't have run much further in that direction. It was a relief to turnaround. Right before doing so, I hit a patch of wind that was even worse. It was hard to comprehend that things could be any worse.

I survived though and finished up. It was quite rewarding, taking on all that mother nature could throw at me and still completing my task. I'm glad I made it through the day. I'm sure there will be some worse ones in January and February. I'm ready though.

My watch continues to be an area of frustration. For much of the run, it went into goal mode. I didn't know how to get out of it and I couldn't even see the time. It was very frustrating. It's a great watch, but I have to figure out how to use it.

Tomorrow, is an easy recovery day with some sprints. Hopefully, it will be better conditions to run in. If not, oh well. I'm going to be so strong come March and April, when it warms up. I can't wait. I can see Boston up ahead.

Timed portion of the run:
9.39 miles - 1:12:57 (7:46 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment