Monday, January 4, 2010

Another Battle

This wind is turning out to be quite the foe. Today wasn't nearly as bad as yesterday, but the combination of the two has been tough. I started out with some nice strides and drills to warm up. I need to do more of those.

Following that, I got out and ran. I started off with the Schuykill Banks loop. Early on, I felt fairly good. I cruised and took it easy today. I decided to run with the hood down and just a headband on. That worked well. After a few minutes, I was running with the wind and took the headband off and opened my jacket too.

I made it to the turnaround, lumbering a little bit. It was the second half of the run that gave me problems. My IT band started to bother me more than it has lately. I was able to push on through it, but I was surprised that it acted up this much on such an easy day.

The long hill towards the end of the route didn't help either. I was quite sore going up it and the wind was coming right at my face. It seemed like it to forever to make it to the top. The short, but steep hill right after it didn't help either.

After getting back to Lloyd Hall, I ran a half mile out and then back on Kelly Drive to complete the route. The wind was really tough in this portion and I stumbled along. As usual, I finished pretty strong on the way back though. I actually ran .01 miles short of 4 miles. That was due to my watch settings not being in the right place again. I definitely need to read up on it and fix it.

After the run, I did 3 hill sprints. I think that all the hill work that I'm doing has been a big help. I was in cruise control today and battling wind, but still ran a nice pace. I can't wait until my training gets even more specific.

I don't work until 4 PM or 5 PM every day this week. That's excellent and will allow me to get a lot done early on in the day. Tomorrow, I'll probably get out on the bike. I haven't done that in awhile. I need to get my heart rate monitor setup too. I keep forgetting it before runs.

3.99 miles - 29:47(7:28 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment