Sunday, January 31, 2010

There Will Be Days Like This

To say that today's run went poorly would be an understatement. The plan was to go for my longest run yet of 16 miles. I headed out to run the loop a couple times. I only made it a little over 6.6 miles before my IT band forced me to quit.

The temperatures were in the mid 20s in the afternoon, with a windchill bringing it just under 20. I went out with a jacket and early on, I could tell that was going to be too much. The wind wasn't bad and I was very hot. I opened the jacket and took down the hood. I switched my headband and gloves off and on several times.

The biggest problem was really my fuel belt. I haven't worn it since the fall. It weighs too much and makes running much more difficult. That said, I didn't have any real issues through the first four miles or so.

My IT band typically acts up when I start on Kelly Drive and come back on West River Drive. This time, I decided to run in the opposite way. That didn't obviously didn't help a lot though.

Running slower is actually much more difficult on the IT band. I can only run so fast with the fuel belt on. I made it through 6 miles okay, but sore. I tried to start a run/walk strategy, but that failed when I first started walking. When I tried to run again, the leg just started to hurt.

I was still about 3 miles from home when I stopped running. Good thing it wasn't too cold out, since it was a long walk. I felt fine through most of it. Once I got near my house though, my leg really started hurting. I struggled just to get home.

I wanted to get to church, but it was just too hard to walk. I stretched it out and used my foam roller to massage my leg. Hopefully that and some leg strengthening with my ankle weights will cure this problem.

I wouldn't be as discouraged with this, if I ran close to the set amount. I fell 10 miles short. Part of me wants to try to make some of it up, but I'm also thinking rest might be a better option. I might do an easy 4 miler rather that rest tomorrow. I'm not totally upset. I've battled through this IT band issue and will do it again. It would be nice to get rid of the problem once and for all. Hopefully my body will adjust better now that I'm running 40 miles every week.

6.63 miles - 57:11 (8:37 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment