Thursday, January 7, 2010

Trying the Heart Rate Monitor

I tested out my heart rate monitor for the first time on today's easy run. It was difficult to put on and not very comfortable. I did get used to it as the run went on, but I'm not sure I'll use it much. I know what pace to run at this point. Apparently, I didn't have it setup right anyways as no data was recorded.

The temperature was in the 30s. Since it was an easy day, I decided to throw on the jacket anyways. That was a mistake and I got super hot by the end of the run. On the way out with the wind at my face, it was comfortable. The way back was brutal though.

I ran a different route than usual. I started at Lloyd Hall, but first ran to the Art Museum, then along West River Drive. I went out to about the typical 5K turnaround point. The total route was 4 miles. Just before the turnaround, I passed a runner. I felt kind of bad because he was working pretty hard and I wasn't. I was just cruising along.

It got so hot that I had to take my gloves off. Underneath, my wrist was very sweaty. That must've messed up my Garmin. It stopped showing anything other than the sattelite accuracy. I couldn't change into any other functions. I couldn't even stop the watch.

I actually had to leave it running while I ran my 3 hill sprints. Once it dried out, it worked fine and I stopped the clock. I'm glad I was able to delete the additional time from my workout. The watch has been frustrating to this point, but I'm learning a little more about it each time out.

I wore my new North Face tights. They are interesting because they aren't tight at all. They were still comfortable, but felt weird because they are so loose. I only paid 14 bucks for them though so I can't complain.

Tomorrow will be a progression run of 5 miles. I'll be testing out my new Under Armour tights then. They only cost me 25 bucks. I look forward to another tough run. I paid more attention to my full marathon training program and it is going to be a huge step up from my first one. I still have about 100 scheduled runs before the marathon. It'll definitely be a challenge. If I get through it healthy, I have no doubts that I'll run a Boston qualifying time.

4 miles - 31:30 (7:52 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment