Monday, January 11, 2010

Some Relief From the Cold

I am back at my parents for a couple days. I thought about doing a trail run, but opted instead for an easy 5 miler in the neighborhoods nearby. I followed that up with three short hill sprints.

Today, there was finally some relief in the weather. It was almost in the 30s in the afternoon. I ran with just the base layer and no jacket on. That was perfect for these temperatures.

It seems like I always start out against the wind and today was no different. There really wasn't much wind, but any slight breeze of cold air can be felt on these days. I didn't have to battle it nearly as hard as yesterday though.

I ran comfortably, although my legs didn't have a lot of snap. This route is a bit hilly, especially when I added on a short loop with a steep hill. I ran a fairly consistent pace throughout and didn't push it much. As I went with the wind in the 2nd half of the run, my times improved.

Not too many highlights on this run. The main thing of note is how soft kids are these days. I was running after school and a bus stop in the neighborhood had about 15 cars in it. I guess flaky little Connor can't walk two blocks in thirty degrees. I remember in my day, we used to play hoops all of the time in this weather. I didn't see a single kid shooting around. I guess they all hibernate to their videos games these days. Pathetic.

Anyways, back to the run. I was barked at by a couple dogs. I thought they might chase me at one house, but they didn't. Other than that, it was pretty uneventful.

Tomorrow, I'll either completely rest or do some hiking. I'd found where the Appalachian Trail goes through Wind Gap and I might hike through there. I might run there as well on Wednesday morning. It is either that or nearby Jacobsburg Park. That has a lot of trails as well. I'm happy I found some places to trail run at.

5 miles - 36:59 (7:24 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment