Thursday, January 14, 2010

Trail Adventure

I headed up to Forbidden Drive today. This time though, I wanted to run on the trails, rather than the main path. It was quite warm, in the 30s, and I wasn't sure how to dress. I went with the usually base layer. I didn't wear a headband though. I was unsure about wearing gloves, but threw them on at the last minute.

This run sure was an adventure. I was worried initially because they were cutting down trees on the trail that I was hoping to run. Luckily, that was on the lower trail and the upper trail was still open. I ran that route, which was an immediate steep uphill. That's a real test early on for the legs. The trail quickly headed downhill then and across a small stream.

The next stream was the problem. There was simply no way to get over it without going in the water. I would've done that in the spring, but in January, I'm not getting my feet wet. I attempted to walk across and nearly fell in. I turned around and tried a different branch of the trail. It led to a bridge that is close though. That was disappointing too.

As I headed back to Valley Green Road, I ran up it for a little bit before finding the trail going north this time. I ran all over the place there. At one point, it goes near some beautiful houses. I'm definitely jealous of the people that live there.

I encountered ice around this time and took my first fall. I was glad I had the gloves on to break my fall. The ice was hidden between the rocks. Later on, I came across a section with a lot more ice. I decided to turn around. I don't mind battling ice, but there was a steep dropout from the trail if I lose my footing.

The trails were fun, but also quite challenging. There wasn't much width to them and a steep drop off next to that. To complicate things, they are very rocky. That makes watching where you step very important. I'm still learning how to run on rocks. Every now and then, I hit one too solid on my foot. I also need to go slower downhill.

For awhile, I wasn't quite sure what trail I was on. It was very high. I could look way down at the river that I usually run by. It was a beautiful view and part of the reason why I'm enjoying trail running so much.

I definitely need to learn technique. In addition to avoiding rocks (or running on them properly), I need to shorten my stride down hills. Too often, I take them very fast if my body allows me to. Eventually, I'll trip over a rock and take a nasty spill if I keep it up. At one point, the only path I could find back down was so steep that I struggled just to walk down it. That was interesting.

After I got back to Valley Green, I still had a couple miles left. I took a look at a map a few minutes earlier and saw that there was a trail right next to the Inn. I ran up the very steep path. My legs were getting worn out by then and the IT band was becoming a bit of a problem. I can see how fatigue could be dangerous on the trails too. You don't pick up your feet as much when you are tired and could easily trip.

I went a few more miles and encountered some more ice and impressive scenery. I would've liked to explore even more, but my legs had enough for the day. This section was relatively flat once I made the initial climb. That made it a lot of fun. I finished up with a short half mile or so on Forbidden Drive.

I'm really enjoying trail running and it is definitely something I'll do a lot more of. It's very hilly and challenging and quite the workout. I need the watch for distance, but I'm quickly learning how useless it is for time. I can't wait until next week's run there. Now, I won't have to go to Valley Forge as often as I thought I would.

Tomorrow will be an easy 5 mile recovery run. It'll probably be on West River Drive. Hopefully, I'll hold up through work today and tomorrow. My hip is getting a bit sore. It might be time to add more hip strengthening exercises.

7 miles - 1:14:12 (10:36 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment