Monday, January 25, 2010

Easy Night Run

I didn't get out early in the day for my run. I wanted to make sure that I got to church first. My work shift was flopped around, so I ended up there until 9 PM. I finally got my easy 6 mile run in after that.

I wanted to just do an out and back on Kelly Drive, but there are so few people out there at that time of night. Instead, I opted for the Schuykill Banks loop, plus a mile out and back along Kelly Drive. I actually started the run at my apartment. I ended it at Lloyd Hall though. Following the run, I did four hill sprints.

I went out with my reflective vest on. It was over top of a yellow Asics short sleeve shirt that I recently bought. I used my compression sleeves too. The temperature was quite warm (in the mid 40s), but there was still a bit of a breeze when running against the wind.

I went out very easy and even had to stop at a traffic light. I still couldn't believe how slow of a first mile it was (9:09). Of course I sped up, but I still kept it very easy. I was glad I ran later in the day and allowed myself more recovery time from my long run. All of the first four miles were run over 8 minutes. That's the pace I need for recovery days.

I did pick it up a little as I was passed on the uphill towards the end of the Schuykill Banks loop. The runner was going no faster than my normal day and actually quit running at boathouse row. I stayed composed and just ran my own run. I haven't always done that in the past.

The runner did startle me a little. It actually might be more dangerous on the Schuykill Banks loop because it is isolated. There is a fence on one side, so it would be tough to get away if I was attacked. I got worried when someone coming the other direction looked behind them as I was coming. I thought maybe they were going to attack me and were checking to see if anyone else was coming. Nothing happened though. Hopefully when I run on summer nights, more people will be out.

I finished up nice and easy. My legs were a little beat up, but they still felt good. I definitely recovered from last week's hard workout. I was worried that I might not.

Tomorrow, will either be a rest day or some cycling. I don't work until 4, so I might be able to get a ride in. Wednesday is another progression run and I have the day off. I may head up to Pennypack Park and give that a try.

6 miles - 49:25 (8:14 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment