Monday, January 18, 2010

Temperature Rising

It is amazing the drastic change in temperatures lately. When I went out for my run, it was nearly 50 degrees. I went for an easy 6 mile recovery run from Lloyd Hall to West River Drive and back. I turned around just past the Columbia Bridge.

I wasn't sure how to dress. I definitely knew I was going to wear shorts. I elected for a short sleeve shirt with my new compression sleeves. That worked out great. On the way out, there was quite a bit of wind and I had the sleeves up. On the way back, it was very warm and I put the sleeves down.

I went out very easy. The first two miles were very comfortable, other than the breeze. I had to use the bathroom and Lloyd Hall was closed because of the holiday. I eventually went behind a tree across West River Drive. That slowed my third mile down greatly.

After turning around, I began cruising. The heat started getting to me and I felt very sluggish. It was actually perfect temperature, but just too much of a difference from a week ago. I couldn't adjust. That said, running very easy, I still put down a 7:30 mile. I should be very strong once spring comes around.

I finished pretty well too. I'm always amazed at how windy it is running the bridge over the river. That bothered me a bit, both on the way out and back. When I saw that my overall pace was close to 8 minutes, I decided to push. I ran hard through the final .3 miles or so. I finished under 8 minutes.

I followed up the run with 3 hill sprints. I also did strides and other drills before the run. I worked my abs and hips when I got back to my apartment. My IT band bothered me a little during the run. I'm surprised at how weak my left hip actually is. The right hip is the one that's typically sore.

I googled my old HS coach. I was curious to see his running results. He still posts amazing times and he's now in his 40s. I knew he was good when I was in HS, but he never ran with us, so I didn't know how good. Pretty impressive stuff. Hopefully, I can get close to his level one. Maybe I can train with him too when I improve.

I work this evening and tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is a rest or cross train day. I'll likely rest. I'll pick it up with a good run again on Wednesday. It looks like the weather will be nice for awhile.

6 miles - 47:44 (7:57 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment