Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Night Rider

I worked pretty early this morning so cross training wasn't an option. Instead, I went for a ride late this evening. I haven't been on the bike in weeks, so it was good to get out and ride.

I got safety lights for riding at night for Christmas. I hadn't used them yet, so tonight was the perfect time. They seem to work pretty well. I had them on flashing mode the whole time. I don't really know if they are needed while I'm riding on the Kelly Drive path. They seem like they would be distracting, but I don't remember ever being distracted when others have them.

I also rode with my Garmin. I didn't ride hard at all. I took it nice and easy. Still, I was surprised at how slow my pace was. I rode around a 5 minute mile pace. That's not even world class marathoner pace. Obviously, I could ride a lot faster than that, but I thought I was riding faster than that. Maybe one day I'll run close to that pace.

I wasn't sure how to dress. It was in the 40s, with very little wind. I went with tights under some workout pants. I also put my jacket on over the marathon long sleeve shirt. Early on, that felt very cold, but it turned out to be perfect by the end of the ride. I wore light gloves under my biking gloves. That worked well too, after being cold early.

Overall, it was a great recovery day. Tomorrow will be a real test. I'm running 10 miles, with the last 5 moderate. I'll probably run on Forbidden Drive to get a good hill workout. I'm off from work tomorrow, so I have plenty of time. I can't wait to test myself. I'd love to be able to run a 7 minute pace for the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment