Sunday, January 17, 2010

Feeling Like the Fall

Today's run reminded me very much of my wonderful, rainy runs this fall during marathon training. Being 40 degrees, it was actually colder, but after temperatures were in the 20s, it didn't feel much different. I set out for a 12 mile out and back to Manayunk.

I got up early, hoping to be the rain. When I saw the forecast and knew that wouldn't happen, I got a few extra hours of sleep. Because my legs froze on another cold and rainy run, I went with tights. I also went with a short sleeve shirt under my jacket. It was too warm, but really the only option I had for this weather.

I set off and had a comfortable pace going early. I messed around with my hood, but never could get it fixed so that I could see properly. I actually should've put on a hat. I just went with my bare head and headband around the ears. That worked well since it wasn't too cold.

I cruised along for awhile at a comfortable pace. As I got to Hunting Park Avenue, I saw a runner up ahead. I nearly caught him when we got to Route 1. Another runner coming the other direction turned around right in front of me and we both passed the him. The other guy was pretty fast.

With one runner down, I decided to pick up the pace and go by the other guy. Even though it was early in the run, I figured it was my only chance to push the pace. I also figured he'd take a different route than me. He didn't and he followed me all the way through Manayunk. I had to push a little to stay in front. Eventually, he crossed the street and pulled ahead of me just before he finished up. He looked over at me like he couldn't believe that I could keep going at that pace.

I did slow after that though. That took quite a bit out of me. Around that time, my watch stopped working too. Not sure if it lost the signal or took on too much water. It was frustrating though, so I dried it off and put it in my pocket.

With the watch not working, I ran most of the second half of the run on feel. Not sure if the harder pace earlier took a lot out of me or if running on the sidewalks were a problem, but Manayunk took a toll on me. My legs were dead.

I kept going, but my jacket was starting to get very soaked and my legs were causing me to feel slow. Even though I've run this route over and over, the last few miles along Kelly Drive seemed to take forever.

As I got near a half mile from Lloyd Hall, my watch finally started working again. I was a little more than a mile short at that point, so I knew I'd have to run towards the Art Museum. Having the watch work again was very inspiring. I really picked up the pace at that point. I thought I lost my keys, so I turned around before finding them in my pocket. Somehow they went through a very small hole in my pocket. I didn't think they could fit through there.

It was a big relief to finish. My legs were toasted, although I didn't work that hard. The pace was probably more of what I should be running on long runs. I typically go too hard. I should save the hard efforts for the progression workouts and such.

Tomorrow will be an easy recover run. This is now the start of my marathon training. I will be starting at 42 miles this week. My maximum week during my first marathon was 40 miles. This will definitely be a big step up. I feel good and strong now. There's not much soreness. I signed up for the Caesar Rodney Half Marathon and can't wait for that. I need to PR there. It's a little over two months away.

12 miles - 1:32:31 (7:42 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment