Friday, January 22, 2010

IT band Acting Up Again

I ran an 8 mile progression run today. From a time standpoint and effort, it was a perfect run. I'm just hoping I didn't damage my knee too much. My IT band really began to bother me again. It was so stiff at the end that I couldn't really bend my knee. I did a lot of stretching and hope that helps.

I started with the Schuykill Banks loop. I went out at a nice pace, but really the first mile was too fast. When I was running 8 minute first miles, it was a perfect way to warm up. I need to get back to that, even on hard days. I can't worry about the overall pace of the progression runs, just the fast miles.

I didn't run too hard, but I wasn't in a comfortable zone either. My IT band was really stiff, but I planned on just continuing to battle. I did put down consistent mile after mile and I didn't feel that strong either. This is the most miles that I've ever run in a week. That became clear when I struggled after around 4 miles. I kept pushing and passed a runner.

It seemed like forever until I finally hit the turnaround after 5.5 miles. The wind has been much worse, but it was still annoying on this day. Once I turned around, with no wind, I ran much smoother and faster. My legs didn't have a lot left, but I gave it what I had.

I wore a long sleeve shirt and tights, but I probably could've gone with shorts. I was sweating quite a bit. Working hard will do that to you though.

Once I got to the final mile and a half, it was time to turn it up. I ran the final two miles in under 7 minute pace (last one 6:44). It was tough, but I worked hard. Looking at my watch really helps. I can just click off quarter mile after quarter mile. It's easier than focusing on objects along the route.

My IT band felt very good during the hard running, but was really stiff right after I stopped. My knee wouldn't bend well. I stretched a lot and felt quite a bit better. I definitely need to back off a little next week though. I need to at least start off slower and let my legs warm up. I've overcome the IT band issues before and I'll do it again. I just have to be smart.

Tomorrow is a much needed rest day. I might bike to the Drexel game. Sunday is an easy 14 mile run. I need to take it easy. I was considering running on a trail in the NJ pine barrens. It appears to be flat and could help out my IT band. It could be muddy though and that was one of the problems with the hard run on Wednesday.

58:15 - 8 miles (7:17 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment