Wednesday, November 18, 2009

We're All on a Flyer

Today was my last fast run before the marathon. I ran a very hard 4 miles on Kelly Drive. I noticed that I wasn't alone. As I started out, I passed no fewer than 3 women who were coming in very fast along boathouse row.

I started quite hard as I began at Lloyd Hall. I ran early in the morning this time, just after 7 AM. It was fairly cool at that time, in the mid 40s. I decided to go out wearing my new Under Armour ColdGear and Nike Running Tights. I knew it wasn't quite cold enough for them, but figured it wouldn't be a problem on the short distance.

I was very pleased as I hit the first mile at about 7:10. I felt like I had slowed a little through the second mile, but still came through there at about 14:20. I was very pleased with that first half.

The second half was even more impressive. I struggled at first because the clothes were causing me to overheat. I slowed down for a little, but then talked myself back into a faster pace.

The final was the best of them all as I ran in well under a 7 minute pace. I wanted to slow, but wouldn't allow myself to. I talked myself into continuing to push harder and harder. It hurt, but obviously it worked.

It was a very rewarding workout and I'm ready for the marathon. Only one more training run is left now. The extra day off before the marathon will be nice.

Tomorrow, I'm going in to fill out paperwork at City Sports. Friday is the marathon expo. I'm really looking forward to it.

4 miles - 27:58 (7:00 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment