Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Not Fully Recovered

Well not surprisingly, I was very still very sore during today's easy 5 mile run. I did the same short mile out and back along Kelly Drive, followed by the Schuykill Banks loop. The temperature was nice, but the wind was brutal.

The windy conditions along the river is my biggest concern as the marathon approaches. It was brutal today on the way out a long Kelly Drive. Not the way to start. Luckily, there was no wind on the way back and it wasn't nearly as bad on the Schuykill Banks loop either.

I started off slow and my legs were quite sore. That was expected after the 20 mile run on Saturday. My first run every week is usually difficult. Once I get through it, things typically get easier. It shouldn't be as tough anymore, since I'm now in the taper period.

After the slow start, I got into a nice rhythm and cruised along at a fine pace. I didn't push hard enough to where my breathing was affected, but I was moving quite well.

My biggest concern isn't my sore legs though. It's my left foot. It has been bothering me for weeks and is now quite sore after today's run. I iced it, but it didn't get any better. I'm hoping the reduced miles will help it heal better. I'll have to monitor it though.

I ran in the afternoon today and I really hate doing that. It's hard to get out the door then. I like to run first thing and get it out of the way. I've been having trouble falling asleep lately though, especially with all the Phillies playoff games. I need to get back to a nice sleep schedule soon. That'll keep me well rested for the marathon.

Tomorrow is a scheduled 8 mile run. I'll probably the loop. I'd like to run in the morning, but it depends if I can get up and also how my body feels.

I am looking forward to using some of my extra time now to put together a couch to 5K training plan for my friend. I'll help her become and runner and also run with her. I'm glad someone is finally willing to take my instructions. It'll be a fun little project.

5 miles - 40:16 (8:03 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment