Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Terrible Tuesdays

It seems like I begin every week with a terrible run. This Tuesday outing was my worst to date though. Other than runs where I was bothered by injury, it was my worst run of the entire training period. It was only a 4 miler and I felt like I could barely complete it.

I did my Saturday run through a hilly 12 miles near my parents house. Perhaps that was the problem. Oddly though, I wasn't sore at all. Usually that's my problem on a Tuesday. My legs just felt dead today, they had no snap to them. I really thought that during the taper period, they'd become rejuvenated. So far, that hasn't happened.

I ran the Schuykill Banks route and added in another mile along Kelly Drive. The small hills really seemed to slow me on the banks. I actually ran fairly hard and crisp for about 10 minutes in the middle of the run, but then my legs were gone again.

I passed a few people, but only because they were very slow. A little while before the turnaround, I saw two big girls that I figured I could catch later on. I worked hard to get to them. As I was cruising towards them, they started to walk. That took all the fun out of it.

My IT band started bothering me on the uphill portion of the walk home. That's odd because that hasn't been a problem for months. I'm guessing the hills on Saturday's run attributed to that. Hopefully it doesn't continue.

I'm still amazed at how people dress. It was warm and nearly 60 today. Yet I saw plenty of people with jackets, long pants and long sleeve shirts on. I've been very happy with my choice of running attire thus far. Hopefully there isn't a significant temperature drop on race day.

I did ride my bike on Sunday morning. It was very warm and uneventful. It really does suck trying to ride on the path with all the walkers and runners (now that the road is open again on weekends).

They put the banners up for the Philadelphia Marathon. That was kind of cool to see and a reminder of how close we are. I'm going to snap some pictures of them tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, I'm going to really push hard and see how fast I can go on tomorrow's 6 mile route. Hopefully my legs will respond better than today.

4 miles - 31:58 (8:00 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment