Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Surviving the Fartlek

Today was a very successful fartlek run. Unlike last week, I was able to complete it. I was a bit sore and really didn't look forward to getting started early in the morning. I didn't have much choice though as a blizzard was coming again after a long day at work.

Early on, it didn't seem good. Even with a very slow start, my IT band was sore within the first two miles. I didn't think there was anyway I'd complete the run. I was just hoping to get through 7 miles.

I successfully made it through the run because I didn't go as fast on my intervals. I probably should've ran somewhere between what I did today and what I did last week. I only picked up the pace slightly today. It worked well though as I made it out to Falls Bridge.

I managed to get three repeats in within the first four miles. That was very positive. Each additional repeat wasn't taking a lot out of me. I was recovering nice and slowly.

The wind made it cool in one direction and actually quite hot on the way back. I was still glad to have on a jacket though. I was actually quite worn out after I hit 7 miles.

With some slick parts along the path, it was sometimes difficult to find a portion to run faster on. I managed to though. I was passed by some pretty fast runner who looked like they were running quite easily. It's great to know that at some point I'll be where they are now.

After getting back to Lloyd Hall, I finished with the Schuykill Banks loop. That part was a bit of a struggle, especially the final two miles, but I survived. I was very surprised and impressed. This was a big hurdle.

Tomorrow could certainly be interesting. It's snowing now and will for the next 24 hours. After working over nine hours, after my 10 mile run, it might be best if I don't run until after work. I just hope they plow the path at some point. The scheduled run is 11 miles. I'd like to get at least half of that in, 5 or 6 miles. I'll give it a go at some point and see what happens.

10 miles 1:19:22 (7:56 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment