Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Changing the Route

Today was certainly an interesting run. I was complaining about running through the same scenery lately, so now I got a change of it. I thought about running on Lemon Hill at the start and up through the east side of the park. When I saw how much snow there was there, I opted for the usual route.

I went out to Falls Bridge. It sure wasn't easy, as once again I encountered a brutal wind at the start. It sure would be nice if this would stop, but the forecast for the next week or so says otherwise. The other problem was that my legs didn't feel great after the hard run yesterday.

I had just commented about my IT band not acting up for a few days. Well sure enough, it came back today. A little over 4 miles in and it was bothering me. I knew I'd make it through the run, but it was frustrating to see that problem creep up again.

As I was heading back near the Strawberry Mansion Bridge, a group of guys warned me that there was a pitbull up ahead. I didn't want to find out anything about what they were talking about, so I turned around. I then ran up Hunting Park Avenue.

I ran into the Laurel Hill Cemetery. I've actually thought about adding this as part of the route sometime. It would be a good workout, because it is very steep. I only ran through until I could exit onto Ridge Avenue though. Luckily, most of Ridge was plowed, although not in the greatest shape.

I ran on through hilly Ridge Avenue and then on to the east side of the park. It was an area I had run before, but this time it wasn't plowed. I had to run on the street. I struggled just to get to the 7th mile. The hills killed my IT band. I really focused on getting to mile 8. Eventually that happened, but it wasn't easy and I was sluggish.

This section is high about the river and it is very windy there too. I did a loop around Lemon Hill and finished up perfecting in front of the Art Museum after another short climb. I didn't feel bad after the run yesterday, so I was surprised that my IT band gave me problems. I need to stretch and strengthen it more often, even when it isn't bothering me.

Dressing in the wind was frustrating again. I actually wore an old long sleeve running top. It is one that I had when I started running, nine years ago. I found that it doesn't dry very well and I was quite sweaty. I just really can't wait until winter is over.

Tomorrow, is an easy 6 miler with 10 hill sprints. That should be a good workout before work. Today was tough because it is Ash Wednesday and I can only eat one meal all day. I might head out on West River Drive for tomorrow's run. We shall see. I think I'm going home tomorrow night. That'll break up the boredom of running the same routes all the time. It'll allow me to add some more hills too.

10 miles - 1:22:23 (8:14 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment