Sunday, February 14, 2010

Definitely a Challenge

After finishing up a tough week, I headed out for a 15 mile long run to start the week. I had run for 3 straight days, so it wasn't easy. I made it through though.

One of the difficult things with the run was how to dress. It was about 35 degrees, but the winds were very strong. I went with the windbreaking jacket. That was great against the wind, but with the wind, it was too hot.

I went out nice and easy. It was a little tough though with the greatest wind near the start. I actually started at Lloyd Hall and looped towards the Art Museum. Once the wind died down, I felt good, but hot.

It was a big relief making it to Falls Bridge and heading back. I was only at like mile 4 at that point though. The plan was to do a loop and then an out and back from Lloyd Hall to Falls Bridge. There was a lot of snow on the path as I passed the grandstand though.

It was supposed to be a progression run and I knew I couldn't run the end fast over the snow, so I elected for a different route. When I got back to Lloyd Hall, I added the Schuykill Banks loop. I had already begun to tire out as I hit the halfway point of the run (7.5 miles). I wondered how I'd finish.

I took it a mile at a time. It wasn't easy and my legs were just dead (likely from all the miles lately). As I hit mile 10, I was toasted. I added two more loops on the Schuykill Banks loops. Doing repeat short loops were really the only way I could survive.

The last 2-3 miles were some of the toughest running that I've ever done. I was definitely dehydrated, after not bringing any liquid with me. I just kept telling myself one more mile. A young guy in shorts blew by me towards the end, but then slowed down on a hill and stopped shortly after. I guess he can't hang as long as I can.

I never did get to run it like a progression run. I ran quite an easy and a consistent pace, but I did give it all I had. Just finishing was a huge relief. I don't run 15 miles too often, so that wasn't easy.

One of the positives is that my legs were just tired, but not sore. The IT band bothered me slightly, but that didn't happen at all until around mile 12. Even after that, it was only a mild nuisance. Perhaps my Vibrams are helping or maybe just going out on a slow pace was the big reason. I made it through though. Tomorrow is a much needed rest day.

15 miles - 2:01:25 (8:05 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment