Monday, February 22, 2010

Not a Full Recovery

The 17 miles yesterday wasn't too taxing. I had a scheduled easy 6 miles. I just wish with the IT band, there was a such thing as an easy 6 miles. I held off and waited over 24 hours to run today.

I cruised comfortably early on. I ran in the neighborhoods near my parents house, before heading home. The first two miles were easy, but they just seemed to take forever. I guess my body was still drained from the day before. My quads were a little sore, but other than that, things were good.

I just focused on a mile at a time. Even though I felt like I was running easy, my times were actually quite fast. The results actually show it as more of a progression run, as my time got faster with each mile.

I was relieved when I hit the halfway point. I told myself, "less than a 5K to go." At about 4 miles or so, the IT band became bothersome. I managed to get through it, but never felt great. My legs really could've used more recovery.

The wind was the weakest that I've seen in awhile. That was a big help. It was still a little chilly at times, but overall, quite comfortable. Weather certainly wasn't an issue over the last two days and I hope this trend continues.

After driving back home, my legs and hips aren't too sore, but they do still bother me. I did some stretching and will try some more. I want to do some hill repeats tomorrow morning. Hopefully I will have recovered enough by then. I guess we'll see. I work from 12-5, so that's really my best time to get out and run. I definitely would've benefited from taking today off and I might have to consider always doing that the day after a long run. I just don't recover all that well with this IT band issue.

6 miles - 47:33 (7:55 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment