Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Green Again

I've kept battling, but the last three runs that I've had scheduled, I couldn't last the distance. Today was another story. I finally broke through and successfully completed my scheduled run. It wasn't easy either as it was a 10 miler. It will be nice to highlight my schedule with green marker again.

When you are struggling with an injury, it is amazing how much harder it is to get out the door. I still never questioned whether I would run today or not, but I didn't start until 5:30. Actually the temperature was rising throughout the day, so that was a good excuse to put it off. I took an afternoon nap before the run too.

I felt very strong early on as I headed out Kelly Drive. It's amazing how smooth and fast I feel before the IT band starts acting up. The plan was to go to Falls Bridge and back and if I could handle more, keep going.

My pace was very comfortable. Around three miles though, the IT band started becoming a problem. As I got to Falls Bridge, I wondered if I would even make it all the way back to Lloyd Hall. My leg was really bothering me. I kept sputtering along though and focused on small goals (landmarks or distances).

I as I continued to go, my leg actually started to feel better. I began cruising at a comfortable pace. Both my legs did feel a little sluggish at times, but they were no longer sore. I'm not sure what causes it, but sometimes my IT band gets better in longer runs. I guess it adapts and gets used to the pace. Maybe the cold weather makes it tight early on and that's part of the problem. I guess we'll know for sure if it improves when the temperatures rise in a couple months.

Speaking of the temperatures, it was quite warm. There was a mild wind on the way out, but I on the way back, my headband came off. It was right around 40 degrees, even in the dark of the evening. It felt good.

I eventually reached Lloyd Hall and was relieved that I felt so good. At that point, I knew I'd finish. It was about 7.25 miles then and I decided to add the Schuykill Banks loop on. I ran fairly well on that portion, including a 7:17 mile at one point. My pace wasn't very consistent on this day, which was a little odd because I didn't try changing paces or anything like that.

I continue to be amazed at how many fast runners are out there. I assume they are training for their spring marathons (often Boston). Luckily, they were all headed in the other direction today. Surely, a few of them would've blown by me. It gives me something more to shoot for though.

Finishing today was a huge relief and proof that I can beat this IT band problem. I might back off a little if needed, but won't give up the fight like I have in the past. I didn't feel sore right after the run, but now my hip is quite sore. I'm going to use the foam roller shortly. My left ankle is very tight too, perhaps I changed my stride to account for my sore IT band on the right side. I don't know. That ankle bothered me awhile back, but hasn't lately.

Tomorrow, I have an easy 4 miler scheduled with 6 hill sprints. I'm hoping to get out there early in the morning before work. If I feel good after work, I might add another easy 4 miler. I don't need to get all the miles back that I missed earlier in the week, but I would like to run 40 miles again. That would be the third week in a row and a real mental boost to be surviving it.

10 miles - 1:15:03 (7:30 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment