Friday, February 12, 2010

Making Due

Well today wasn't the best conditions, but I managed to finish my 11 mile run. Because of the snow and ice mix, it was a much more difficult run that it was supposed to be.

I started off at the Art Museum and headed out along Kelly Drive. It was finally plowed today, but the melting snow during the day, refroze at night. It caused me to slow my pace. At times, there was still some soft snow on the path.

Again, I made it most of the way out to the Columbia Bridge. Unfortunately, the path was no longer plowed to that point. Therefore the out and back was less than 3 miles.

I decided to do a few loops in the parking lot by Lloyd Hall. That worked well for a little, but got boring. There were also too many cars driving around there. I then added the Schuykill Banks loop.

That loop was plowed, but still icy and slushy too. I could never keep the same footing going. After about 4 or 5 miles, my IT band bothered me a little. It didn't get much worse though. I did a second out and back along the Banks loop. I then followed it up with a couple loops in the parking lot again.

I was going around in circles a lot and covering the same ground. I got bored and I was really tiring, but I focused on a mile or two at a time. It was quite difficult making it through the final mile. My body just took such a beating on terrain.

For some reason, I was a lot colder than usual. It was odd, because the temperature was around the freezing point. With the wind chill, it was in the mid 20s. I've certainly run in my colder. I guess maybe working hard caused me to sweat too much. My feet and legs were quite sore. I wore compression tights and it caused some very annoying chafing, after about 7 miles.

Today was a tough battle, but I made it. Tomorrow, I'm going to get out and get my 5 miles in. That'll bring me to 50 miles for the week. It'll be my first time ever hitting that mark. Not bad considering all the snow.

I bought Vibram Fivefingers after work. They feel quite weird at first, but I'm getting used to them. I had trouble putting them on a first. It took quite a few minutes. I won't run in them until it gets warmer. I can't wait to do that. For now, I'll just wear them around, perhaps even to work.

11 miles - 1:34:42 (8:36 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment