Monday, February 8, 2010

Staying Upright

I got up early today, but elected to give my body more rest before my run. I went for the easy 4 mile recovery run after work. I started at the Art Museum because I couldn't get a signal on my Garmin before that.

I started off nice and slow and had some really bad ice to navigate past. Originally, I was going to run along West River Drive. When I realized that the bridge over the Schuykill would be very icy, I changed the route. I ran the Schuykill Banks loop. I just never get sick of that loop.

I took it easy all throughout the run. That was especially the case because there were a lot of spots that looked slick. The snow had melted during the day and was refreezing at night. Most of it didn't feel to slippery though and I still was capable of running at a good clip.

I was very comfortable with my jacket on. There was some wind, but it wasn't too bad. Because of the slow pace, the run seemed to take longer than a normal 4 miler does. I never pushed though.

I'm not too sore right now and hopefully I'll be well rested. I work at 12 tomorrow and a big storm is coming in the evening. I have to make sure to get my run in during the AM. I'm hoping for the scheduled 11 mile fartlek. I'll definitely have to slow the pace down on the fast repeats. Luckily, the icy and snowy surfaces may force me to slow the pace. It is a key workout and I hope I can survive it this week. I might be forced to cancel Wednesday's run if it snows too much tomorrow. It was nice not having much snow this year. Now we are getting blitzed with it though.

4 miles - 33:44 (8:26 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment